POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Outgunned : Re: Outgunned Server Time
6 Sep 2024 23:21:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Outgunned
From: scott
Date: 23 Jan 2009 09:46:10
Message: <4979d832$1@news.povray.org>
>> Ummm yeh, it's a mesh based modeller, what do you expect?
>
> OK. So... how do you build anything nontrivial with it? Just adding
> endless predefined meshes together doesn't seem very flexible.

There are many modifiers for working on meshes.  The general work-flow I use
(and I am by no mean an expert in mesh modelling) is to draw a fairly blocky
low-vertex mesh by adjusting vertices by hand to get the correct shape, then
use the subdivision-surfaces modifier to smooth it, making tweaks along the
way if necessary.

You can also use NURBS, which are roughly speaking a 2D surface version of
bezier curves, they are quite handy for modelling smooth stuff, see here for
an example:

http://www.blendernation.com/tutorials/blender-3d-beginner-tutorial-dolphin/

Or you can copy a shape from several 2D photos/pictures if you have them,
and build up the 3D mesh, this is quite popular for making cars:

http://c4dtuts.com/misc/modeling-a-car/

> Oh, yeah, *sure*. Because, I mean, there are libraries *everywhere*,
> right? :-P

Did you go to this one?

http://www.mkweb.co.uk/mk-libraries-network/DisplayArticle.asp?ID=26803

If that isn't big enough then I guess you'll need to travel to a different
city.  There's a library in Cambridge that has a copy of every book
published, but I doubt you'll need to go that far for a book on 3D Studio.

>> http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=Rb2A9OKCAUc
>>
>> They design whole planes and cars with this software so it has to be
>> quite sophisticated.
>
> I'll have to wait until I get home, but... this should be interesting.

Watching other people do stuff on YouTube is actually a cool way to learn -
assuming you know roughly how to use the software and can spot what icons
and windows they are clicking on etc, I wouldn't suggest learning from
scratch via YouTube.