POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Current trends Server Time
6 Sep 2024 17:23:53 EDT (-0400)
  Current trends (Message 54 to 63 of 83)
From: clipka
Subject: Re: Current trends
Date: 23 Jan 2009 14:45:00
Message: <web.497a1d3dd9bdbb33bdc576310@news.povray.org>
Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
> I'm still puzzled about the Race of Champions. They raced several
> designs of car which seemed to be using *external combustion* to propell
> themselves, rather than the more traditional *internal combustion*. (As
> evidenced by the huge flashes and bangs as they raced round the track.)

Military planes do it, so why shouldn't a car benefit from an afterburner, too?
=B)

Post a reply to this message

From: Mike Raiford
Date: 23 Jan 2009 14:46:23
Message: <497a1e8f$1@news.povray.org>
clipka wrote:
> Nicolas Alvarez <nic### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>> News today: an 8GB *RAM-based* solid-state drive:
>> http://tinyurl.com/8d64qv
>
> Hum... why would anyone want such a thing?
>
> For persistent storage of data, I guess it would be a *very* bad idea. Lose
> power = lose data.
>
> For nice fast swap space, I guess it would make more sense to put those 8GB
> right onto the mainboard, so you don't need the swap space in the first place.
>
> For fast temporary storage of mass data (like, say, in scientific simulations),
> it's plain too small...

It would make a darned nice Photoshop scratch disk. Make it about 50GB
and it would make a decent video editing scratch disk.

--
~Mike

Post a reply to this message