POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Current trends : Re: Current trends Server Time
6 Sep 2024 19:20:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Current trends
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 23 Jan 2009 21:18:32
Message: <497a7a78$1@news.povray.org>
clipka wrote:
> Patrick Elliott <sel### [at] npgcablecom> wrote:
>>> - It appears that "solid state harddrives" are now reaching useful sizes
>>> and sane pricing levels. (E.g., when I first looked at this it was

>> Only problems are: a) slow (faster isn't much faster, and costs double),
>> and b) limited number of "write cycles". And, no, the 250GB one is not
>> $2/GB. lol
>
> Just recently read about SSD's; two things to consider:
>
> - If they're reasonably good quality, it seems you can't really "kill" them,
> even in years of excessive abuse... because they can only do so many write
> cycles a second ;)
>
> - If you don't need to *write* too much, then faster *is* much faster! (Don't
> try to replace a speed-optimized RAID box that already maxes out the connection
> speed though ;))

Well, I updated the 8GB SSD in my Asus 900A with a 64GB. I had two
choices, a slower Patriot for $96, or a Runcore, for $178... Yeah, would
nice to have it faster, but... not at double the price. I would "much"
rather have a 1TB device that I could throw at a wall without breaking
it, but.. we just don't have it yet. ;) lol

--
void main () {

     if version = "Vista" {
       call slow_by_half();