POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : President Obama Server Time
6 Sep 2024 13:18:08 EDT (-0400)
  President Obama (Message 60 to 69 of 69)
From: Patrick Elliott
Subject: Re: President Obama
Date: 23 Jan 2009 21:15:16
Message: <497a79b4$1@news.povray.org>
Shay wrote:
> Patrick Elliott wrote:
>
>> Companies don't think like individuals, they think like groups, and
>> basic group psychology is that **groups** will do things that, if
>> given bad direction, will be worse, more vile, less moral or ethical,
>> and fundamentally less beneficial to anyone "but themselves", than
>> they would as individuals.
>
> And what is government but the biggest, richest "group" (mob)?
Hmm. That is sometimes true. However, in principle, governments like
ours have what corporations don't. In corporations you get one guy
leading everything, a board that only sees what it wants, and everyone
below that doesn't get much say on "anything". There are no checks and
balances, no means to "elect" a new person, unless they lose money,
etc., and the board gets rid of them (that they did the right thing
isn't relevant at all, just that they hurt someone's pocket book). There
is no principles in most businesses that demand they "try" to find the
right path, not just the most profitable one. This means they are more
stream lined, and directed at one thing, even if that thing leads to
something like the near collapse of IBM back when the mainframe market
failed, or the recent drop in Microsoft's fortunes, and the layoffs from
it, which resulted from the same short sighted view of trying to "own"
the market.

In short, Governments are made up of a "lot" of independent groups, all
trying to get what they want, while businesses tend to all be one
monolithic group, with a single goal. In the former, if one group drives
over a cliff, only the people who attached themselves to that goal go
over with them. With businesses, **everyone** goes over the same cliff.
Its not much, but its "way" better than basically letting everyone jump
off cliffs, without trying to prevent it. lol

--
void main () {

     if version = "Vista" {
       call slow_by_half();
       call DRM_everything();
     }
     call functional_code();
   }
   else
     call crash_windows();
}

From: Chambers
Date: 23 Jan 2009 21:51:50
Message: <EE698821EF2B48399DD62276A896E6D2@HomePC>

What, you mean I shouldn't take it seriously? :o

...Ben Chambers
www.pacificwebguy.com

> Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 23 Jan 2009 23:50:15
Message: <497a9e07$1@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott wrote:
> In corporations you get one guy
> leading everything, a board that only sees what it wants, and everyone
> below that doesn't get much say on "anything".

Not really. Of course, it depends on the size of the corporation.

Stockholders elect the Board of Directors, who in turn hire the officers,
who in turn run the business and make the decisions.

> is no principles in most businesses that demand they "try" to find the
> right path, not just the most profitable one.

For for-profit corporations, "profitable" is the "right path", by law.

> In short, Governments are made up of a "lot" of independent groups, all
> trying to get what they want, while businesses tend to all be one
> monolithic group, with a single goal. In the former, if one group drives
> over a cliff, only the people who attached themselves to that goal go
> over with them.

I'll disagree. If a government goes over a cliff, they take everyone with
them. See, for example, Zimbabwe.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Ouch ouch ouch!"

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 24 Jan 2009 00:56:45
Message: <497aad9d$1@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 18:51:29 -0800, Chambers wrote:

> [...]

Imagine that! ;-)

FWIW, I think the episode title was "Time Jump" - I haven't looked it up
but that's what popped into my head.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 24 Jan 2009 15:42:39
Message: <497b7d3f$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Patrick Elliott wrote:
>> In corporations you get one guy leading everything, a board that only
>> sees what it wants, and everyone below that doesn't get much say on
>> "anything".
>
> Not really. Of course, it depends on the size of the corporation.
>
> Stockholders elect the Board of Directors, who in turn hire the
> officers, who in turn run the business and make the decisions.
>
>> is no principles in most businesses that demand they "try" to find the
>> right path, not just the most profitable one.
>
> For for-profit corporations, "profitable" is the "right path", by law.
>
>> In short, Governments are made up of a "lot" of independent groups,
>> all trying to get what they want, while businesses tend to all be one
>> monolithic group, with a single goal. In the former, if one group
>> drives over a cliff, only the people who attached themselves to that
>> goal go over with them.
>
> I'll disagree. If a government goes over a cliff, they take everyone
> with them. See, for example, Zimbabwe.

Yes, but, you are using yet another example of a government that "is"
basically monolithic. Most governments are made up of a small number of
people in charge, with all the same opinions (or at least consistency in
them), who, if things go bad, can't recover, because when they go bad it
undermines "all of them". Its the sort of government that the
Republicans in the US have been striving for, where nearly everyone in
every branch is a Republican, all the justices are, the president is,
and everyone under him is, etc. When everyone agrees, and they are
wrong, well... the government is pretty much screwed, since there isn't
anyone around that can say, "Uh... I think I know how to fix this, if
you will listen 'this time'." Everyone just runs around trying to
ineffectively put out the fire, by beating it to death with what ever
idiot idea they started the fire with in the first place.

Governments where everyone has the same vision either work, because its
a workable vision, or they eventually crash like a plane that lost all
its engines. Same for companies. And, if someone takes over, who shifts
that "universal" vision in a bad direction, you go from "it works" to
"crash and burn" very quickly. You have to have, in stable governments,
the ability for some people, who where *not* involve with the "current"
scandal, to step in and fix things. Governments that function like
businesses, with one single perspective, and all of that perspective
focused only on themselves, can't recover from scandals, because pretty
much everyone in them is either complicit with the problem, or isn't
aware it existed, so has no plan to fix things already in place.

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {

From: Darren New
Date: 24 Jan 2009 16:11:55
Message: <497b841b$1@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott wrote:
> You have to have, in stable governments,
> the ability for some people, who where *not* involve with the "current"
> scandal, to step in and fix things.

Hence the constitution, separation of powers, limited enumerated powers,
FOIA, etc.  Having a government that ignores *these* things is the problem.

From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 25 Jan 2009 17:41:38
Message: <497ceaa1@news.povray.org>
Shay wrote:
> Also, women in France cry when the American Idol winner is announced. I
> wouldn't make too much of that.

http://sorethumbs.keenspot.com/d/20041108.html

Post a reply to this message

From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 25 Jan 2009 18:58:32
Message: <497cfca8$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Patrick Elliott wrote:
>> You have to have, in stable governments, the ability for some people,
>> who where *not* involve with the "current" scandal, to step in and fix
>> things.
>
> Hence the constitution, separation of powers, limited enumerated powers,
> FOIA, etc.  Having a government that ignores *these* things is the problem.

True. But, its only "really" a problem if you also have a government
which, like a company, can appoint someone to the top, or elect them,
then "keep them there", forever. Imagine if companies had to re-elect
CEOs ever 4 years, with a limit of 8 for any single leader... Would see
a very different situation there, even "with" the same identical board
members. ;)

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {

From: John VanSickle
Date: 26 Jan 2009 20:55:58
Message: <497e69ae$1@news.povray.org>
Phil Cook v2 wrote:

>>  Perhaps he noted that courting world opinion required the chronic
>> habit of making unrewarded sacrifices and unreciprocated concessions.
>
> Um when has America ever courted world opinion when there hasn't been
> something in it for America?

Um why should we?

Regards,
John

Post a reply to this message

From: andrel
Date: 27 Jan 2009 12:42:09
Message: <497F47D7.7010108@hotmail.com>
On 27-Jan-09 2:55, John VanSickle wrote:
> Phil Cook v2 wrote:
>
>>>  Perhaps he noted that courting world opinion required the chronic
>>> habit of making unrewarded sacrifices and unreciprocated concessions.
>>
>> Um when has America ever courted world opinion when there hasn't been
>> something in it for America?
>
> Um why should we?

He might have phrased that like: "when has America ever courted world
opinion when there hasn't been something in it for America just now?"
with the obvious answer to your question: "because it would make the
world safer and that will ultimately pay off to the US as well".