POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : President Obama : Re: President Obama Server Time
6 Sep 2024 15:21:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: President Obama
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 24 Jan 2009 15:42:39
Message: <497b7d3f$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Patrick Elliott wrote:
>> In corporations you get one guy leading everything, a board that only
>> sees what it wants, and everyone below that doesn't get much say on
>> "anything".
>
> Not really. Of course, it depends on the size of the corporation.
>
> Stockholders elect the Board of Directors, who in turn hire the
> officers, who in turn run the business and make the decisions.
>
>> is no principles in most businesses that demand they "try" to find the
>> right path, not just the most profitable one.
>
> For for-profit corporations, "profitable" is the "right path", by law.
>
>> In short, Governments are made up of a "lot" of independent groups,
>> all trying to get what they want, while businesses tend to all be one
>> monolithic group, with a single goal. In the former, if one group
>> drives over a cliff, only the people who attached themselves to that
>> goal go over with them.
>
> I'll disagree. If a government goes over a cliff, they take everyone
> with them. See, for example, Zimbabwe.

Yes, but, you are using yet another example of a government that "is"
basically monolithic. Most governments are made up of a small number of
people in charge, with all the same opinions (or at least consistency in
them), who, if things go bad, can't recover, because when they go bad it
undermines "all of them". Its the sort of government that the
Republicans in the US have been striving for, where nearly everyone in
every branch is a Republican, all the justices are, the president is,
and everyone under him is, etc. When everyone agrees, and they are
wrong, well... the government is pretty much screwed, since there isn't
anyone around that can say, "Uh... I think I know how to fix this, if
you will listen 'this time'." Everyone just runs around trying to
ineffectively put out the fire, by beating it to death with what ever
idiot idea they started the fire with in the first place.

Governments where everyone has the same vision either work, because its
a workable vision, or they eventually crash like a plane that lost all
its engines. Same for companies. And, if someone takes over, who shifts
that "universal" vision in a bad direction, you go from "it works" to
"crash and burn" very quickly. You have to have, in stable governments,
the ability for some people, who where *not* involve with the "current"
scandal, to step in and fix things. Governments that function like
businesses, with one single perspective, and all of that perspective
focused only on themselves, can't recover from scandals, because pretty
much everyone in them is either complicit with the problem, or isn't
aware it existed, so has no plan to fix things already in place.

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {