POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The Amazon jungle Server Time
6 Sep 2024 17:18:02 EDT (-0400)
  The Amazon jungle (Message 21 to 25 of 25)
From: Orchid XP v8
Subject: Re: The Amazon jungle [chopped]
Date: 14 Jan 2009 15:35:32
Message: <496e4c94@news.povray.org>
>> Well now... It seems that even if you store some absurd amount of data
>> like 1GB (think how many years that would take to upload...) it costs
>> less than 50p/month. Which is nothing. (I currently pay £5/month.)
>
> Yep. I think my last bill was seventeen cents.

To quote the bitch from Friends, "ooo, that's *interesting*!"

>> On the other hand, 30 days of instance time on EC2 is almost 80$.
>> Exchange rates vary, but this compares wildly unfavourably with my
>> current hosts' demands of £15/month.
>
> Is that for a machine where you can install your own OS and such? Or is
> that for just a web host, where you're (for example) sharing an Apache
> server with others?

That's for root SSH access to a Linux box that you can install whatever
you want on. (Although presumably you can't change the OS - how would
you talk to it while you're installing it?) Several flavours of Linux
availbable.

It is a *virtual* server though - your stuff runs in a virtualisation
system. (They claim to guarantee a certain minimum performance level
though.)

If you want a *dedicated* server (i.e., a real physical box that's just
for you) it's drastically more expensive - like £90/month or something.

>> The verdict: EC2 is absurdly expensive.
>
> It's also designed for you to rent it briefly, not for a long time.

As with any kind of renting, there will always be a point where renting
becomes more expensive than buying. The question is only where that
point is.

If you just want to *run* stuff, EC2 sets the tipping point really,
really low. (E.g., the POV-Ray thing I'm currently trying to do will
probably take at least a week, more likely a month. And I want to do a
whole series of others afterwards. For the price EC2 want, I could
probably buy a killer PC several times over.)

The advantace of EC2 is either
- You only want it for a little while.
- You want to do something that requires massive amounts of Internet
bandwidth.

Buying a PC which out-performs EC2 in compute terms only isn't
expensive. Beating the connectivity EC2 is likely to have would be...
uh... "expensive".

> If you want to rent a machine for three hours to do a
> render, it makes a lot of sense.

It does? Surely it would make more sense to just run it on my own PC for
3 hours, while I go watch TV or something. Costs £0. :-P

>> For about £200 you could *buy* a half-decent PC. If you leave it
>> running for 1 year, it will have cost you [slightly more than] £200.
>
> Well, you would need the connectivity too, which I understand is pretty
> expensive where you are. :-)

Maybe that's it: Rendering stuff doesn't require gigabit Internet access!

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

> That's for root SSH access to a Linux box that you can install whatever

> you want on. (Although presumably you can't change the OS - how would
> you talk to it while you're installing it?) Several flavours of Linux
> availbable.

Impressive.  (Cost-wise, I mean.)  I guess this is one of the great wins
of
virtualization.

> It is a *virtual* server though - your stuff runs in a virtualisation
> system. (They claim to guarantee a certain minimum performance level
> though.)

Same with Amazon, I expect. They talk about it as "equivalent to a ...."
so
I assume it's a shared image thingie.  Especially since you boot it by
giving it an image split into a bunch of parts on S3, so there's got to b
e a
pretty sophisticated boot loader going on there already.

> As with any kind of renting, there will always be a point where renting

> becomes more expensive than buying. The question is only where that
> point is.

Agreed. It's also designed for you to (for example) spin up more servers
for
your shopping carts during the christmas rush.

> If you just want to *run* stuff, EC2 sets the tipping point really,
> really low. (E.g., the POV-Ray thing I'm currently trying to do will
> probably take at least a week, more likely a month. And I want to do a

> whole series of others afterwards. For the price EC2 want, I could
> probably buy a killer PC several times over.)

Sure.  I'm not trying to defend ECC's pricing, mind. :-)

> Buying a PC which out-performs EC2 in compute terms only isn't
> expensive. Beating the connectivity EC2 is likely to have would be...
> uh... "expensive".

You pay for the bandwidth, too. Not a lot, but again you have to measure
how
much you need and what it'll cost.

>> If you want to rent a machine for three hours to do a render, it makes

>> a lot of sense.
>
> It does? Surely it would make more sense to just run it on my own PC fo
> 3 hours, while I go watch TV or something. Costs £0. :-P

Assuming you didn't have one you could render on, of course.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Why is there a chainsaw in DOOM?

Post a reply to this message

>> That's for root SSH access to a Linux box that you can install
>> whatever you want on. (Although presumably you can't change the OS -
>> how would you talk to it while you're installing it?) Several flavours
>> of Linux availbable.
>
> Impressive.  (Cost-wise, I mean.)  I guess this is one of the great wins
> of virtualization.

Indeed yes.

>> It is a *virtual* server though - your stuff runs in a virtualisation
>> system. (They claim to guarantee a certain minimum performance level
>> though.)
>
> Same with Amazon, I expect.

Yeah. Although the fact that it takes a minute or two to start up makes
me think it's spending time trying to find a free machine to run it on.
Maybe each physical machine runs up to X virtual machines or something?
(I would imagine transfering a runnin image from place to place would be
infeasieble, even in a datacenter.)

>> As with any kind of renting, there will always be a point where
>> renting becomes more expensive than buying. The question is only where
>> that point is.
>
> Agreed. It's also designed for you to (for example) spin up more servers
> for your shopping carts during the christmas rush.

Indeed. If you're a company and you're large enough to actually need
*more than one* server at short notice, EC2 totally makes sense. For an
individual user who just wants some POV-Ray time... EC2 does not, even
remotely, make sense.

>> Buying a PC which out-performs EC2 in compute terms only isn't
>> expensive. Beating the connectivity EC2 is likely to have would be...
>> uh... "expensive".
>
> You pay for the bandwidth, too. Not a lot, but again you have to measure
> how much you need and what it'll cost.

You can easily buy a machine, put it in your kitchen, and leave it
running all day. But you can't easily get seriously low latency to the
Internet. EC2 gives you that. ;-)

>>> If you want to rent a machine for three hours to do a render, it
>>> makes a lot of sense.
>>
>> It does? Surely it would make more sense to just run it on my own PC
>> for 3 hours, while I go watch TV or something. Costs £0. :-P
>
> Assuming you didn't have one you could render on, of course.

Well, you need to own a PC in order to design it in the first place. ;-)
Plus, as I say, buying a PC works out vastly cheaper than using EC2 if
all you want is computer time.

Now, how does GPGPU change this picture? ;-)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/