POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The Amazon jungle : Re: The Amazon jungle [chopped] Server Time
6 Sep 2024 17:22:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Amazon jungle [chopped]
From: Darren New
Date: 14 Jan 2009 15:53:07
Message: <496e50b3$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> That's for root SSH access to a Linux box that you can install whatever

> you want on. (Although presumably you can't change the OS - how would
> you talk to it while you're installing it?) Several flavours of Linux
> availbable.

Impressive.  (Cost-wise, I mean.)  I guess this is one of the great wins
of
virtualization.

> It is a *virtual* server though - your stuff runs in a virtualisation
> system. (They claim to guarantee a certain minimum performance level
> though.)

Same with Amazon, I expect. They talk about it as "equivalent to a ...."
so
I assume it's a shared image thingie.  Especially since you boot it by
giving it an image split into a bunch of parts on S3, so there's got to b
e a
pretty sophisticated boot loader going on there already.

> As with any kind of renting, there will always be a point where renting

> becomes more expensive than buying. The question is only where that
> point is.

Agreed. It's also designed for you to (for example) spin up more servers
for
your shopping carts during the christmas rush.

> If you just want to *run* stuff, EC2 sets the tipping point really,
> really low. (E.g., the POV-Ray thing I'm currently trying to do will
> probably take at least a week, more likely a month. And I want to do a

> whole series of others afterwards. For the price EC2 want, I could
> probably buy a killer PC several times over.)

Sure.  I'm not trying to defend ECC's pricing, mind. :-)

> Buying a PC which out-performs EC2 in compute terms only isn't
> expensive. Beating the connectivity EC2 is likely to have would be...
> uh... "expensive".

You pay for the bandwidth, too. Not a lot, but again you have to measure
how
much you need and what it'll cost.

>> If you want to rent a machine for three hours to do a render, it makes

>> a lot of sense.
>
> It does? Surely it would make more sense to just run it on my own PC fo
> 3 hours, while I go watch TV or something. Costs £0. :-P

Assuming you didn't have one you could render on, of course.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Why is there a chainsaw in DOOM?