POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Unit testing - simple question with long explanation for discussion... Server Time
6 Sep 2024 15:20:49 EDT (-0400)
  Unit testing - simple question with long explanation for discussion... (Message 11 to 14 of 14)
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: Unit testing - simple question with long explanation for discussion...
Date: 9 Jan 2009 13:24:02
Message: <49679642$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> As I say, when I run it in Ghostscript, it works just fine.

I don't know how ghostscript works per se. You're sending it to the printer,
or the screen?

The point is the PS interpreter in the printer has no good way of knowing
you're done with the page, unlike ghostscript, so you have to add specific
code to the postscript on a printer to say "I've generated the bitmap, so
send it to a page now."  IIRC, that command is called "showpage".

Ghostscript on the screen renders as it interprets, so that's different.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Why is there a chainsaw in DOOM?

Post a reply to this message

>> As I say, when I run it in Ghostscript, it works just fine.
>
> I don't know how ghostscript works per se. You're sending it to the
> printer, or the screen?
>
> The point is the PS interpreter in the printer has no good way of
> knowing you're done with the page, unlike ghostscript, so you have to
> add specific code to the postscript on a printer to say "I've generated
> the bitmap, so send it to a page now."  IIRC, that command is called
> "showpage".
>
> Ghostscript on the screen renders as it interprets, so that's different.

Ghostscript also refuses to display anything until you perform a
showpage operation. (Or the deprecated copypage operation, for that matter.)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/