POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : infested computers - how does it happen? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 19:18:16 EDT (-0400)
  infested computers - how does it happen? (Message 52 to 61 of 61)
From: Fredrik Eriksson
Subject: Re: infested computers - how does it happen?
Date: 8 Dec 2008 17:26:26
Message: <op.ulu7abn17bxctx@e6600>
On Mon, 08 Dec 2008 23:08:57 +0100, Orchid XP v8 <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
>>> (I wonder how many people think you have to connect a PC to special
>>> "PC speakers"?)
>>  Errr, you do.  A "PC speaker" is one with an amplifier built in.
>
> Errr, you don't. There needs to be an amplifier somewhere in the signal
> path, for sure. But there's no particular requirement for it to be built
> into the speaker, or indeed for the speaker to be specially designed for
> use with a PC.

Indeed, I used to have unpowered speakers (made for use with PCs)
connected to my PC and they sounded just fine. Of course, sound cards back
then (about a decade ago) had built-in amplifiers powerful enough to drive
small speakers to a decent volume.

--
FE

Post a reply to this message

>> Errr, you don't. There needs to be an amplifier somewhere in the
>> signal path, for sure. But there's no particular requirement for it to
>> be built into the speaker, or indeed for the speaker to be specially
>> designed for use with a PC.
>
> Indeed, I used to have unpowered speakers (made for use with PCs)
> connected to my PC and they sounded just fine. Of course, sound cards
> back then (about a decade ago) had built-in amplifiers powerful enough
> to drive small speakers to a decent volume.

Like I say, you can easily connect your PC to an ordinary stereo system
if it has the appropriate inputs. You don't have to buy a magical set of
"PC speakers". ;-)

But I wonder how many other people know that? Maybe all this "25-channel
surround-sound" stuff is merely a ploy to sell more PC speakers? :-D

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

> Like I say, you can easily connect your PC to an ordinary stereo system
> if it has the appropriate inputs. You don't have to buy a magical set of
> "PC speakers". ;-)

And if the system doesn't have the appropriate inputs, they usually can
be made (makes a bit work, though) :p.

> But I wonder how many other people know that? Maybe all this "25-channel
> surround-sound" stuff is merely a ploy to sell more PC speakers? :-D

Not to imagine how many sources actually provide more than 7.1 (even
which is really rare - 5.1 is much more usual) channels.

-Aero

Post a reply to this message