POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : infested computers - how does it happen? : Re: infested computers - how does it happen? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 21:23:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: infested computers - how does it happen?
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 8 Dec 2008 17:44:11
Message: <493da33b$1@news.povray.org>
>> Errr, you don't. There needs to be an amplifier somewhere in the
>> signal path, for sure. But there's no particular requirement for it to
>> be built into the speaker, or indeed for the speaker to be specially
>> designed for use with a PC.
>
> Indeed, I used to have unpowered speakers (made for use with PCs)
> connected to my PC and they sounded just fine. Of course, sound cards
> back then (about a decade ago) had built-in amplifiers powerful enough
> to drive small speakers to a decent volume.

Like I say, you can easily connect your PC to an ordinary stereo system
if it has the appropriate inputs. You don't have to buy a magical set of
"PC speakers". ;-)

But I wonder how many other people know that? Maybe all this "25-channel
surround-sound" stuff is merely a ploy to sell more PC speakers? :-D

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/