POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Phone for Invisible... Server Time
6 Sep 2024 21:21:29 EDT (-0400)
  Phone for Invisible... (Message 11 to 14 of 14)
From: Kyle
Subject: Re: Phone for Invisible...
Date: 25 Nov 2008 07:43:35
Message: <492bf2f7@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:

> sub-pixel.  In current displays it doesn't matter if your display gets a
> bit darker after a year or two of use, but it will be a bit annoying if
> you get a permanent imprint of the windows task bar at the bottom of
> your monitor :-)

You mean there'd be a real reason to have a screen saver again?  LOL!

Post a reply to this message

From: scott
Date: 25 Nov 2008 09:07:40
Message: <492c06ac$1@news.povray.org>
> You mean there'd be a real reason to have a screen saver again?  LOL!

Yeh it looks like it!  Actually there is a SOny 11" OLED TV on Amazon, I was
reading through the user manual (from the Sony website) and it said that is
shifts the image around every so often to avoid burn-in.

I would be more concerned though about people who use their computers a lot,
I mean my screen saver is hardly ever on because I'm mostly at the computer
during the day.  There's a timer on my old monitor (that I just use as a
secondary display for my laptop now) which says it's been on for 6519 hours.
I would hazard a guess that for the majority of that it's said "Start" at
the bottom left corner!  Even with standard LEDs, after 6000 hours you are
going to see at least a 10% drop in brightness (which you hardly notice on
LCD because it affects the whole image), I think this would be quite visible
if it varied pixel by pixel though.

Post a reply to this message

> Yeh it looks like it!  Actually there is a SOny 11" OLED TV on Amazon, I was
> reading through the user manual (from the Sony website) and it said that is
> shifts the image around every so often to avoid burn-in.

  Wouldn't help with larger areas with an uniform color...

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message