POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Random image of the day Server Time
6 Sep 2024 19:21:09 EDT (-0400)
From: Invisible
Subject: Random image of the day
Date: 20 Nov 2008 08:35:47

From: Mike Raiford
Subject: Re: Random image of the day
Date: 20 Nov 2008 08:45:37

From: Invisible
Date: 20 Nov 2008 08:48:29
Message: <49256aad$1@news.povray.org>
Mike Raiford wrote:
> Invisible wrote:
>> http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2e/Crowded_cytosol.png
>
> I'm guessing some sort of protein?

Several of them, actually.

It's linked from an article on "macromolecular crowding", which explains
that when you have really, *really* high concentrations of large
molecules (such as proteins), the individual molecules get squished up
against each other in such a way that it radically changes the chemistry
of the whole solution.

This is partly why proteins don't behave the same way in a testtube as
they do in a real, living cell...

Post a reply to this message