POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Another day of strife Server Time
6 Sep 2024 23:24:08 EDT (-0400)
  Another day of strife (Message 21 to 30 of 122)
From: scott
Subject: Re: My CV
Date: 19 Nov 2008 04:33:58
Message: <4923dd86$1@news.povray.org>
> I've attached my CV. Please don't laugh. :-P

I agree with what Paul wrote, especially the employment history.  Beef it
out a bit and take out the negative words like "small".  Use a smaller font
size if you can't fit it all on 2 sides, the one you are using is quite
large.  Beef it out more depending on the job you are applying for, eg if
you are applying for a programming job then explain more about the scripts
and tools you've written.

Under your skills profile, I would actually write the complete list of
languages you have a "long history" with, drop the "etc" at the end.  IF you
want, give another list afterwards of langauges that you have dabbled with
to a lesser extent.  Beef out the last bullet point and make it clear that
you can learn new languages quickly, if they are expecting you to use a
language you are not proficient with this will help.

Bear in mind that when someone is looking at your CV they want to see
*evidence* of what you say you are a good at.  For everything you say you do
or like, try to think of something that proves you are.  eg "developed a
number of scripts", add afterwards something like "these have been working
successfully to save blah blah blah and have improved reliability and uptime
blah blah".  I think Paul said something similar.

Beef out the bit about working liaising with staff, especially the US dudes,
nowadays most companies have to deal with foreign people at some time or
another and it shows you can communicate effectively.  Also expand the "plan
future upgrades" bit, make it sound like you are part of the team that is
designing the network rather than just looking after it.

Take out the things like filing and photocopying, any monkey can (and does)
do that and they are interviewing you for a programmer, not an office
assistant.  If you want, put something in there like "proificient MS Office
user", you'd be surprised how many (particularly older people) cannot use
most of the features of Office.

Take out your college diploma and GCSE results (I think you said you'd
already done that), and beef out your degree details if you have space. It
looks a bit confusing at the moment, I would group it into 1st 2nd and 3rd
year and then put the details under each.  If I were you I would also take
out the grade for your final year project, and replace it with some more
details about the project.  Some poeple who are looking at the CV might not
know what MVC stands for?

If you still have space to fill, add in a small "personal hobbies" section,
I know some employers want to see some evidence that you have a life outside
of work subjects, so it can't hurt.  Just think up of a few non-computing
activities you've done once or twice in your life :-) they're not going to
ask for proof.

Remember a CV is there to sell yourself, someone is going to read 20 CVs and
choose a few to interview, you want to do everything possible (without lying
obviously) to make sure they choose yours.

Post a reply to this message