POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Another day of strife : Re: My CV Server Time
7 Sep 2024 01:22:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My CV
From: Darren New
Date: 19 Nov 2008 13:35:30
Message: <49245c72$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> Where I'm from, lying isn't good.

It's not lying. It's no more lying than leaving out the bad grades.
Whether the scripts were small or not is irrelevant. Nobody else could
have done it, and it saved the company $8000. The people interviewing
you care about that sort of thing, not how many lines it took.

> Mmm, OK...

And include it as "wrote dozens of custom utility programs to diagnose
and automatically correct problems, including network diagnostics
superior to those employed by our ISP."  ;-)

> I was just listing the languages that readers are most likely to care
> about, but yeah, I guess I could add PostScript.

Add everything you know. You're trying to get a job where knowing stuff
is important. The more you list, the more obvious it is you can learn
stuff.

> The point I was really trying to make is that "normal people" don't
> spend their lunch break learning new technical skills that they don't
> actually need for anything "just for the hell of it". Only seriously
> motivated people do that.

And seriously smart people.

> Oracle consultant when our DB died... but it's not massively relevant h
ere.

you get hired there, because that's how much you'll save them.

>> In the CV you want to leave no doubt about what you do, make it
>> impossible for the person reading it to think "oh well it looks like
>> maybe he just does nothing each day".
>
> The trouble is... I *do* do nothing each day! o_O

But you're not supposed to show that. You want them to ask you why
you're looking for a new job, at which point you can say "this one isn't

challenging enough, and I want to stretch my capabilities."

> Well MVC is.. uh... a GUI technology. And my project was to make it so

> that the UI can be on a different machine to the backend. But with less

> network overhead than X11 / VNC / RDP / other bitmap-based technologies
,
> and more responsiveness than HTML over HTTP.

Yep. Describe it that way. You don't even have to mention MVC. Just
describe what it does and why it's important, just like you did there.
"Allows high-quality interactive user graphics to be distributed across
the network with less overhead and more responsiveness than competing
mechanisms, programmed using best industry practices of modularity and
maintainability, as befits an academic exercise."

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)