POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Another day of strife Server Time
7 Sep 2024 17:12:43 EDT (-0400)
  Another day of strife (Message 111 to 120 of 122)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 2 Messages >>>
From: andrel
Subject: Re: My CV
Date: 21 Nov 2008 13:09:58
Message: <4926F9CE.8090208@hotmail.com>
On 21-Nov-08 18:36, Orchid XP v8 wrote:
>>> LOL! I suppose I could explain that it's a Turing-complete scene
>>> description language for photorealistic image and animation
>>> construction / scripting... that could sound impressive. ;-)
>>
>> If you apply for a job as a sysop in a shoefactory, it would be
>> completely useless to mention. OTOH if it is in a group with a lot of
>> creative people around like in IT-firms and universities anything that
>> shows that you are special in any way would be a bonus point.
>
> Agreed.
>
> I guess it depends on whether I think I can actually *find* one of the
> "interesting jobs" which are rumoured to exist somewhere...

And you don't turn them down because they are not in your neighbourhood
or because the companies name starts with 'C' or whatever reason you'll
find not to apply.

>> In fact many things that would make me decide to hire you in stead of
>> yet another freshly graduated student are not in your CV. Nor would
>> you mention them in a job interview, because you don't think it is
>> important.
>
> Have you seen my updated CV?

not yet. I am missing some posts as I was away a few days, so the amount
is so large that I skipped a few.

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Subject: Re: Another day of strife
Date: 21 Nov 2008 13:15:37
Message: <4926fac9$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
> Here in the US, salary information is between you and your
> employer

Really?  I'm not sure that's correct.  Certainly if you're looking to
(for example) sell a small company, the buyer is going to want to know
the salaries of the people he'll be taking on, yes?

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 21 Nov 2008 13:31:45
Message: <4926fe91$1@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 10:15:38 -0800, Darren New wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> Here in the US, salary information is between you and your employer
>
> Really?  I'm not sure that's correct.  Certainly if you're looking to
> (for example) sell a small company, the buyer is going to want to know
> the salaries of the people he'll be taking on, yes?

Perhaps in M/A land there are exceptions - or they know how many people
they are and the aggregate salaries/payroll budget, but in M/As (as is my
understanding) there are very specific times at which particular types of
information can be disclosed.

The laws may also vary depending on where the companies are incorporated
- if both are incorporated in the same state, then it may be down to
state laws rather than federal laws.

Of course, IANAL, so I could be completely wrong on this - but I'm pretty
sure there's a confidentiality clause about salary information.  Most
companies strongly discourage employees from even talking about their
salaries with their peers.

But my point is that I don't believe company A could call up the HR
department at company B and say "John Doe has told us his salary is
$74,000 a year - can you confirm this?" - for one thing, that could open
John up to some sort of retribution from his current employer for looking
for a new job - most US states are "at will", which means your employer
can pretty much let you go for any reason - and even for no reason.
Utah's like that - the worker protections in the US (if you're not in a
union) are practically nonexistent unless you can prove racial/age/some
other form of legally recognised discrimination.

Jim

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 21 Nov 2008 13:43:35
Message: <49270157$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
> companies strongly discourage employees from even talking about their
> salaries with their peers.

Yeah, but that's not for the good of the employees. :-)

> But my point is that I don't believe company A could call up the HR
> department at company B and say "John Doe has told us his salary is
> $74,000 a year - can you confirm this?"

Used to be OK. I answered a number of calls like this in my first job. I
wouldn't be surprised if laws passed since then, not the least of which
were due to ...

> - for one thing, that could open John up to some sort of retribution from his
current employer for looking
> for a new job

Sure, and retribution against the employer for giving a bad
recommendation or lying about the salary, which is more what I think
caused the changes.

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 21 Nov 2008 15:33:25
Message: <49271b15$1@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 10:43:36 -0800, Darren New wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> companies strongly discourage employees from even talking about their
>> salaries with their peers.
>
> Yeah, but that's not for the good of the employees. :-)

True enough.

>> But my point is that I don't believe company A could call up the HR
>> department at company B and say "John Doe has told us his salary is
>> $74,000 a year - can you confirm this?"
>
> Used to be OK. I answered a number of calls like this in my first job. I
> wouldn't be surprised if laws passed since then, not the least of which
> were due to ...

Interesting, maybe a CA thing?  I know things tend to be a bit more
progressive there, especially compared to deep red McCain-land here in
Utah.

>> - for one thing, that could open John up to some sort of retribution
>> from his current employer for looking for a new job
>
> Sure, and retribution against the employer for giving a bad
> recommendation or lying about the salary, which is more what I think
> caused the changes.

I know where I'm work they have a policy specifically prohibiting
professional job references.  I've provided a few personal references for
long-time friends (and past coworkers), but it's a difficult line to walk
sometimes because my personal and professional lives overlap so much.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Eero Ahonen
Date: 21 Nov 2008 15:50:54
Message: <49271f2e$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> Here in the US, salary information is between you and your employer
>
> Really?  I'm not sure that's correct.  Certainly if you're looking to
> (for example) sell a small company, the buyer is going to want to know
> the salaries of the people he'll be taking on, yes?

In such case it could be possible to reveal totals (eg. 10 employees
making 450k$ expenses total) - it's still not necessary to reveal salary
of individual worker.

-Aero

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 21 Nov 2008 16:48:22
Message: <49272ca6@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
> Interesting, maybe a CA thing?

This was in the 70s on the east coast.

> I know where I'm work they have a policy specifically prohibiting
> professional job references.

I'm sure. I'm just not certain it's a law, rather than a CYA policy.

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 21 Nov 2008 23:02:09
Message: <49278441$1@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 13:48:23 -0800, Darren New wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> Interesting, maybe a CA thing?
>
> This was in the 70s on the east coast.

Could be a sign of the times, too.

>> I know where I'm work they have a policy specifically prohibiting
>> professional job references.
>
> I'm sure. I'm just not certain it's a law, rather than a CYA policy.

Could be either, would have to check and see....maybe my HR department
could tell me. ;-)

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 22 Nov 2008 03:41:27
Message: <edhfi4ta42suoff94n8m319p50vai6rlfk@4ax.com>
On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 15:24:40 +0000, Orchid XP v8 <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:

>Stephen wrote:
>

>O RLY?

Well have you applied for it?
--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 22 Nov 2008 03:58:07
Message: <4927c99f$1@news.povray.org>
Stephen wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 15:24:40 +0000, Orchid XP v8 <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
>
>> Stephen wrote:
>>

>> O RLY?
>
> Well have you applied for it?

Still improving my CV, remember?

Anyway, *if* I actually got the job, what makes you think I couldn't

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 2 Messages >>>