POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Another day of strife : Re: Another day of strife Server Time
7 Sep 2024 19:12:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another day of strife
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 21 Nov 2008 15:33:25
Message: <49271b15$1@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 10:43:36 -0800, Darren New wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> companies strongly discourage employees from even talking about their
>> salaries with their peers.
>
> Yeah, but that's not for the good of the employees. :-)

True enough.

>> But my point is that I don't believe company A could call up the HR
>> department at company B and say "John Doe has told us his salary is
>> $74,000 a year - can you confirm this?"
>
> Used to be OK. I answered a number of calls like this in my first job. I
> wouldn't be surprised if laws passed since then, not the least of which
> were due to ...

Interesting, maybe a CA thing?  I know things tend to be a bit more
progressive there, especially compared to deep red McCain-land here in
Utah.

>> - for one thing, that could open John up to some sort of retribution
>> from his current employer for looking for a new job
>
> Sure, and retribution against the employer for giving a bad
> recommendation or lying about the salary, which is more what I think
> caused the changes.

I know where I'm work they have a policy specifically prohibiting
professional job references.  I've provided a few personal references for
long-time friends (and past coworkers), but it's a difficult line to walk
sometimes because my personal and professional lives overlap so much.

Jim