POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : My own Vista impressions Server Time
1 May 2024 22:02:06 EDT (-0400)
  My own Vista impressions (Message 1 to 10 of 63)
From: Chambers
Subject: My own Vista impressions
Date: 13 Nov 2008 01:20:27
Message: <3A34D71957114B8BBE97A07AD1EF3AC6@HomePC>
So, I bit the bullet and installed Vista Ultimate 64.  And I've been
working with it a few weeks now.  And what do I think?

I think people just like to complain about Microsoft for no good reason
at all.

Caveat: I have a Core 2 Duo processor, 3GB of RAM, and a decent video
card (7600GT).  Obviously, if you try to run it on a ten-year-old
laptop, you're going to have more problems than I do.

Anyway, Vista actually runs faster than my XP Pro installation did, but
only just.  The real kicker for me is the disk usage. one thing that's
happened to me several times now, is coming into the room, and thinking
the computer was turned off.  I moved the mouse just to make sure, and
the think woke up - completely silent.  Even leaving it running a video
encode (I'm still in the process of moving my DVD library to my hdd.
I've had several false starts, and changed my mind on format / quality
settings a couple of times*), the thing will be darn near noiseless.

UAC doesn't bother me at all.  But then, I understand what it's there
for, and I'd much rather have it ask me than not.  Besides, it's no
worse than the equivalents in Linux and Mac OS.

And the GUI?  I waited almost two years after Windows XP was introduced
before I switched from 2K - the XP GUI drove me nuts, and as soon as I
found out about FlyAKiteOSX, I switched my GUI to be a Mac clone.  With
Vista, I liked the GUI straight away.

Given how impressed I also am with Office 2007 (separate topic), I think
I'm actually turning into an MS fan.

...Ben Chambers

www.pacificwebguy.com

Post a reply to this message