POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Ironic justice? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 21:23:16 EDT (-0400)
  Ironic justice? (Message 11 to 16 of 16)
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: Ironic justice?
Date: 14 Nov 2008 13:25:59
Message: <491dc2b7$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> http://practical-tech.com/business/microsoft-cant-support-open-xml/
> THIS is a joke, surely?

No, it's normal ISO standards stuff. Nobody's prototype of a standard
ever supports the standard as passed. Surprise, surprise, software
written before the standard was passed doesn't include support for the
changes ISO made in the standard before they passed it.

 > So now we have an ISO standard that nobody can actually implement?

No. It just hasn't been implemented yet. And nobody *wants* to implement
it. They want to be able to get at the data with different software,
which is what this does.

And a 6000 page specification isn't unreasonable for something like
this, either. The ODF specification isn't complete either, unless you
include the source code for OpenOffice.org as part of it.  Is anyone
*really* going to implement a competitor to OpenOffice.org that doesn't
do anything not already in that standard?

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)

Post a reply to this message

>   If they didn't, I really can't understand how the standardization
> committee can approve of a standard which doesn't actually specify
> exactly what it is standardizing.

ODF doesn't specify the formatting either.

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)

Post a reply to this message

> And a 6000 page specification isn't unreasonable for something like
> this, either. The ODF specification isn't complete either, unless you
> include the source code for OpenOffice.org as part of it.  Is anyone
> *really* going to implement a competitor to OpenOffice.org that doesn't
> do anything not already in that standard?

Ask me later this month...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/