POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Oh dear... Server Time
7 Sep 2024 01:20:30 EDT (-0400)
  Oh dear... (Message 21 to 30 of 130)
From: Gail
Subject: Re: Oh dear...
Date: 13 Nov 2008 15:36:34
Message: <491c8fd2@news.povray.org>
news:491c8c97$1@news.povray.org...
> Gail wrote:
>> That's a 1.2 TB database
>
> Oh, and for S&G purposes, AT&T before the breakup had 9 major databases,
> the biggest of which was 320 terabytes, the next biggest of which was
> something like 290 terabytes, etc. And something like 1800 full-time
> employees writing SQL code in >million stored procedures.

Neat!

My first thought was - "I wanna work on one of those"

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 13 Nov 2008 16:00:05
Message: <491c9555$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Orchid XP v8 wrote:
>> Oddly enough, trying to delete a few thousand PNG files is an
>> efficient way to lock Windows Explorer up for several seconds.
>
> Yes, just like that. :-) It makes Linux very unhappy too.
>
> Oddly enough, I've had occasions in Vista where I move or delete a
> diretory, and it spends a huge amount of unnecessary time trawling thru
> a big complex directory structure, when presumedly it could just rename
> the directory itself and be done. As if it wants to count how many files
> are in there before it moves them as it would with a copy.
>
>> And the deletion takes an anomolusly long time too... hmm.
>
> Windows does some funky stuff with NTFS and deleting lots of files. It
> puts stuff in the journal that the file was deleted, but since the name
> of the file is actually an attribute of the file itself and not just the
> directory, you can't (for example) recreate the file after you deleted
> it but before the journal has actually been flushed to disk. Plus,
> apparently, there's no way to tell NTFS to flush the journal as fast as
> you can.
>
> It might be something like this that makes Windows slow at deleting
> large numbers of files at once - you're waiting on a slow journal to flush.

Well, you say all that, but if I do the same operation using the CLI
instead, it's instantaneous. Clearly this is just another instance of
Windows Explorer being retarded. (I know on many computers, Explorer
uses more RAM than any other process. WTF?)

>> I find the concept of "several thousand GB" intimidating. o_O
>
> Try to avoid working with libraries of weeks-worth of uncompressed audio
> tracks.

Dude... where do you even buy that much disk space??

My PC has *four HDs* in it and it totals less than 300 GB!

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/