POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Oh dear... : Re: Oh dear... Server Time
7 Sep 2024 03:23:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Oh dear...
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 13 Nov 2008 16:05:12
Message: <491c9688$1@news.povray.org>
Gail wrote:

> "Orchid XP v8" <voi### [at] devnull> wrote in message
>
>> Really?
>>
>> How much disk space do you have??
>
> Haven't we been over that before?
>
> Desktop:
> 1x80GB (2 paritions, OS)
> 1x320GB (2 partitions, apps and data)
> 1x160GB (1 partition, games)
>
> Laptop:
> 2x120GB drives
>
> Server:
> 1x80GB (OS and apps)
> 4x160GB in a RAID 5 config. Results in 480GB of usable space

Neat. Your laptop has more HD capacity than my entire DB server. (BTW,
how the heck do you put *two* HDs in a laptop??)

>> Mind you, having said that, it takes about 3 minutes to backup *my*
>> database...
>
> That's slow for a 1.2 GB. My 10GB test DB backs up in under a minute,
> and that's just on a desktop. No fast SCSI drives, backups and data on
> same drive and tonnes other stuff running.
> Ok, mine is SQL and yours is Oracle so maybe 3 min is reasonable.

Well, the "backup" part is just a file copy. The database generates
roughly 10 MB of log per week, so I doubt the running Oracle process
slows the copying down significantly.

The copy is from disk to same disk, and the "disk" is actually a RAID-5
array of Ulta320 SCSI drives. IIRC, it's 4 x 36 GB for a total of about
108 GB. (It's partitioned into two NTFS partitions. For no particular
reason. That's how the expensive Oracle consultant set it up...)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/