POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Luniversity studies Server Time
6 Sep 2024 23:22:54 EDT (-0400)
  Luniversity studies (Message 194 to 203 of 203)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: Luniversity studies
Date: 17 Nov 2008 17:05:42
Message: <4921eab6$1@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 14 Nov 2008 08:59:31 +0000, Invisible wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>
>> So, you want to keep up with the tech industry?
>
> Not *especially*, but...
>
>> Subscribe to a slashdot RSS feed.
>
> Two questions:
>
> 1. What's RSS?

RSS = Really Simple Syndication.  Equate to an Atom feed.  In fact, your
blog has this capability, it's how I know when you've posted something
new.

> 2. What actually *is* Slashdot? I keep hearing about it, but I'm still
> unclear on what it's supposed to "be".

http://www.slashdot.org - it's ostensibly a news site with a comments
system.  I find most of the comments are useless - there's a few "gems"
in there, but most of it is pretty inane.  The thing I read it for
(actually subscribe to it via RSS) is the articles, which include links
to actual news stories.  I find It's a good measure of what geeks find
newsworthy.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

On Fri, 14 Nov 2008 13:41:27 +0000, Invisible wrote:

> I just avoid it.

Avoid the discussions, read the stories.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

> RSS = Really Simple Syndication.  Equate to an Atom feed.  In fact, your
> blog has this capability, it's how I know when you've posted something
> new.

Heh. Well there you are... o_O

>> 2. What actually *is* Slashdot? I keep hearing about it, but I'm still
>> unclear on what it's supposed to "be".
>
> http://www.slashdot.org - it's ostensibly a news site with a comments
> system.  I find most of the comments are useless - there's a few "gems"
> in there, but most of it is pretty inane.  The thing I read it for
> (actually subscribe to it via RSS) is the articles, which include links
> to actual news stories.  I find It's a good measure of what geeks find
> newsworthy.

Apparently I'm not geek enough. To me, it seemed to be all business and
politics...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 18:06:44 +0000, Orchid XP v8 wrote:

>>> 1. What's RSS?
>>
>> RSS = Really Simple Syndication.  Equate to an Atom feed.  In fact,
>> your blog has this capability, it's how I know when you've posted
>> something new.
>
> Heh. Well there you are... o_O

And here you thought nobody was reading your blog. ;-)

>>> 2. What actually *is* Slashdot? I keep hearing about it, but I'm still
>>> unclear on what it's supposed to "be".
>>
>> http://www.slashdot.org - it's ostensibly a news site with a comments
>> system.  I find most of the comments are useless - there's a few "gems"
>> in there, but most of it is pretty inane.  The thing I read it for
>> (actually subscribe to it via RSS) is the articles, which include links
>> to actual news stories.  I find It's a good measure of what geeks find
>> newsworthy.
>
> Apparently I'm not geek enough. To me, it seemed to be all business and
> politics...

There is some of that, but there are a fair number of technical
articles.  I use Google Reader to scan the headlines and articles, goes
pretty quickly that way.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

> Ah, but did you implement a 9D Hypercardigan? ;-)

Is that some sort of modern "upgrade" of the pocket protector? ;P

-Mike

Post a reply to this message

> And here you thought nobody was reading your blog. ;-)

Yeah, apparently...

>> Apparently I'm not geek enough. To me, it seemed to be all business and
>> politics...
>
> There is some of that, but there are a fair number of technical
> articles.  I use Google Reader to scan the headlines and articles, goes
> pretty quickly that way.

IME, headlines tend to be wildly misleading.

(E.g., "I was pregnant for 3 years!" When you read the story, actually
she had a liver infection that made her *look* pregnant for 3 years...)

Post a reply to this message

On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 09:13:31 +0000, Invisible wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>
>> And here you thought nobody was reading your blog. ;-)
>
> Yeah, apparently...

I don't comment often, but I always read the new entries.  Like I said, I
find you to be a good writer, and the topics you write about are
interesting - though like anyone else, the amount of interest varies from
post to post.

>>> Apparently I'm not geek enough. To me, it seemed to be all business
>>> and politics...
>>
>> There is some of that, but there are a fair number of technical
>> articles.  I use Google Reader to scan the headlines and articles, goes
>> pretty quickly that way.
>
> IME, headlines tend to be wildly misleading.
>
> (E.g., "I was pregnant for 3 years!" When you read the story, actually
> she had a liver infection that made her *look* pregnant for 3 years...)

That's why I use it as a source to see what I should read about - I don't
just look at the headline (well, usually, I do - and that's what I use to
determine if I want to read more).  If the story looks interesting, then
I'll read the referenced article, because /. nearly always includes a
link to the source article, and that's where the good info is.

IOW, I use it as a news filter for geek-related topics.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 13:13:21 -0500, Jim Henderson wrote:

> That's why I use it as a source to see what I should read about - I
> don't just look at the headline (well, usually, I do - and that's what I
> use to determine if I want to read more).  If the story looks
> interesting, then I'll read the referenced article, because /. nearly
> always includes a link to the source article, and that's where the good
> info is.
>
> IOW, I use it as a news filter for geek-related topics.

Incidentally, this is a similar technique to how I read this forum - I
just cruised through 300+ messages (been busy with work the past few
days), so I look at the subject lines, and if the subject looks
interesting, then I read a few messages.  Stopping every once in a while
to see if the topic has changed.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

> Incidentally, this is a similar technique to how I read this forum - I
> just cruised through 300+ messages (been busy with work the past few
> days), so I look at the subject lines, and if the subject looks
> interesting, then I read a few messages.  Stopping every once in a while
> to see if the topic has changed.

I used to do that on these newsgroups while offline, a few years ago.

I looked for interesting subjects, marked them for download, and connected
to my dialup ISP for a few minutes at night (when phone is cheaper) to get
them :)

Post a reply to this message

On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 18:44:36 -0200, Nicolas Alvarez wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> Incidentally, this is a similar technique to how I read this forum - I
>> just cruised through 300+ messages (been busy with work the past few
>> days), so I look at the subject lines, and if the subject looks
>> interesting, then I read a few messages.  Stopping every once in a
>> while to see if the topic has changed.
>
> I used to do that on these newsgroups while offline, a few years ago.
>
> I looked for interesting subjects, marked them for download, and
> connected to my dialup ISP for a few minutes at night (when phone is
> cheaper) to get them :)

Yeah, that was really common for me on CompuServe as well, until I got a
sponsored account.  :-)

Jim