POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : in agorum laborat Server Time
10 Oct 2024 03:15:26 EDT (-0400)
  in agorum laborat (Message 31 to 40 of 56)
From: scott
Subject: Re: in agorum laborat
Date: 11 Nov 2008 02:44:58
Message: <491937fa$1@news.povray.org>
> -  The progressive tense of the verb to die is dying, not "dieing". The
> same goes for to lie -> lying.

There's a native English guy who *teaches* English to a class here (a friend
of mine goes to it) and he writes "tryed"!  I can understand a non-native
making that mistake when learning English, but there's no excuse for a
native to do that, and especially not if he is teaching English.

> - I think some people write "they're" instead of "there" on purpose, just
> to annoy people.

I do it sometimes purely because I'm typing too fast and just write out the
sounds that are going around in my head! Quite often I put things like "my"
instead of "by" because I'm just not concentrating (it's not like I don't
know the difference between "my" and "by"!).

> - People who don't realize that when they say "I don't know nothing", they
> are actually saying "I know something".

I think a lot of people do actually realise that *technically* it means the
opposite of common understanding, but if you point it out to them you'll be
labelled as a geeky nitpicker :-)

Post a reply to this message