POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : ECG Server Time
6 Sep 2024 17:19:30 EDT (-0400)
  ECG (Message 1 to 10 of 25)
From: Orchid XP v8
Subject: ECG
Date: 5 Nov 2008 08:16:48
Message: <49119cc0$1@news.povray.org>
It means "electrocardiogram".

I just had one.

I was expecting them to use metal electrodes and electrolytic gel, but
actually the nurse got out a sheet of card, peeled about a dozen
stickers off of it and started sticking them to me like I was a stamp
book. :-| Obviously several around my ribcage, but oddly enough also
around my various extremities... presumably so they have something to
measure the potential difference against.

Having covered me in stickers, she then started attaching crocodile
clips to them. (Personally, having crocodile clips that close to my
nipples made me nervous!)

I didn't actually get to see the trace myself, but the nurse reconned it
looked quite normal. Obviously I'm waiting for the doctor to have a
chance to look at it for confirmation.

The fun part, of course, is *removing* all the stickers. It's amazing
how far human skin can distort without ripping. o_O Amazing and
uncomfortable! Of course, human hair is not nearly so elastic... >_<

The nurse tells me that for really hairy people, she has a whole box
full of disposible razors. "It's really quite weird shaving some random
Asian man's chest..."

Still, it could have been worse - if I needed an EEG, I really would
have to shave. O_O

And fortunately, no blood samples required! :-D (Why do they always have
to take blood samples from the most tender parts of your anatomy? Why
not your finger or something? I'm sure it's the same blood...)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

> I was expecting them to use metal electrodes and electrolytic gel, but
> actually the nurse got out a sheet of card, peeled about a dozen
> stickers off of it and started sticking them to me like I was a stamp
> book. :-| Obviously several around my ribcage, but oddly enough also
> around my various extremities... presumably so they have something to
> measure the potential difference against.
No, the extremity leads (Einthoven (and Goldberger) leads) are the
oldest ones (about 1903) and still used very much for the diagnosis. The
six precordial ones were added later to improve diagnosis by looking are
more local phenomena.

> Having covered me in stickers, she then started attaching crocodile
> clips to them. (Personally, having crocodile clips that close to my
> nipples made me nervous!)

wimp

> I didn't actually get to see the trace myself,

Do you think you could judge it yourself?

> but the nurse reconned it looked quite normal.

I bet she says that to all the boys.

> Obviously I'm waiting for the doctor to have a
> chance to look at it for confirmation.
>
> The fun part, of course, is *removing* all the stickers.

Indeed it is. I do 65 lead ECG with double adhesive tape. \o/

> It's amazing
> how far human skin can distort without ripping. o_O Amazing and
> uncomfortable! Of course, human hair is not nearly so elastic... >_<
>
> The nurse tells me that for really hairy people, she has a whole box
> full of disposible razors. "It's really quite weird shaving some random
> Asian man's chest..."

I have electrodes all around the upper body. I regularly shave the front
and sometimes even the back of very hairy men.

> Still, it could have been worse - if I needed an EEG, I really would
> have to shave. O_O

No, they generally use very different electrodes.

> And fortunately, no blood samples required! :-D (Why do they always have
> to take blood samples from the most tender parts of your anatomy? Why
> not your finger or something? I'm sure it's the same blood...)

1) they do the finger for diabetes testing and also for testing at the
blood bank.
2) In don't know where you think they take blood, and possibly don't
want to know. In my experience it is mostly from the arms.

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 5 Nov 2008 10:49:35
Message: <4911c08f@news.povray.org>
>> It means "electrocardiogram".
>>
>> I just had one.

> Great, why?

I keep having random chest pains for no defined reason. Presumably my
doctor wants to check it's not due to a life-threatening heart condition.

>> I was expecting them to use metal electrodes and electrolytic gel, but
>> actually the nurse got out a sheet of card, peeled about a dozen
>> stickers off of it and started sticking them to me like I was a stamp
>> book. :-| Obviously several around my ribcage, but oddly enough also
>> around my various extremities... presumably so they have something to
>> measure the potential difference against.

> No, the extremity leads (Einthoven (and Goldberger) leads) are the
> oldest ones (about 1903) and still used very much for the diagnosis. The
> six precordial ones were added later to improve diagnosis by looking are
> more local phenomena.

I still find it astonishing that they can build an amplifying powerful
enough and sensitive enough to detect the absurdly small electrical
currents, diluted across vast distances in space, and yet *not* pick up
the sea of EM interference in the room... Pretty amazing stuff!

> wimp

Er, yes...?

>> I didn't actually get to see the trace myself,
>
> Do you think you could judge it yourself?

No. I'm just curios. (Personally I wouldn't even know a T wave from a U
wave...)

>> but the nurse reconned it looked quite normal.
>
> I bet she says that to all the boys.

THAT'S WHAT *SHE* SAID!

>> The fun part, of course, is *removing* all the stickers.
>
> Indeed it is. I do 65 lead ECG with double adhesive tape. \o/

o_O

> I have electrodes all around the upper body. I regularly shave the front
> and sometimes even the back of very hairy men.

TMI?

>> Still, it could have been worse - if I needed an EEG, I really would
>> have to shave. O_O
>
> No, they generally use very different electrodes.

Sure. But I'd imagine you still need to shave your head to get them
anywhere near your scalp.

What gets me is the people who try to *sleep* wearing those things...

>> And fortunately, no blood samples required! :-D (Why do they always
>> have to take blood samples from the most tender parts of your anatomy?
>> Why not your finger or something? I'm sure it's the same blood...)
>>
> 1) they do the finger for diabetes testing and also for testing at the
> blood bank.
> 2) In don't know where you think they take blood, and possibly don't
> want to know. In my experience it is mostly from the arms.

Yeah - the soft, tender part in your elbow. What, they couldn't find
anywhere more painful? :-S

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: andrel
Date: 5 Nov 2008 11:24:36
Message: <4911C919.8070407@hotmail.com>
On 05-Nov-08 16:49, Orchid XP v8 wrote:
>>> It means "electrocardiogram".
>>>
>>> I just had one.
>
>> Great, why?
>
> I keep having random chest pains for no defined reason. Presumably my
> doctor wants to check it's not due to a life-threatening heart condition.

makes sense.

> I still find it astonishing that they can build an amplifying powerful
> enough and sensitive enough to detect the absurdly small electrical
> currents, diluted across vast distances in space, and yet *not* pick up
> the sea of EM interference in the room... Pretty amazing stuff!

EM (if you mean computers, mobile phones etc) is not the problem
generally, mains power supply is.

I tried to find an image of the first string galvanometer in use, this
is not the one I was looking for, but it will do:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Willem_Einthoven_ECG.jpg

Note that this is a lead between a leg and the left arm. The buckets
contain salty water. Here comes the part that may or may not amaze you:
Here the patient is sitting next the machine. In actual clinical use the
first one was 2 kilometer down the road connected with a telephone wire
to the buckets in the hospital. There were actual two lines, one for the
machine and one for Einthoven to talk to the clinician. At our ECG
course I show this picture to the students, tell them about the
telephone and ask them why that was technically possible then, but
absolutely impossible with the current state of technology. Sometimes
they get it, after some confusion.

>>> I didn't actually get to see the trace myself,
>>
>> Do you think you could judge it yourself?
>
> No. I'm just curios. (Personally I wouldn't even know a T wave from a U
> wave...)

The T is the slow part after the QRS, the fast part with the highest
excursions. The U wave may be after that. It is not present in every
lead and not in every person. Frankly, no one knows what generates it.

>> I have electrodes all around the upper body. I regularly shave the
>> front and sometimes even the back of very hairy men.
>
> TMI?
?Can't find a relevant meaning for that acronym

>>> Still, it could have been worse - if I needed an EEG, I really would
>>> have to shave. O_O
>>
>> No, they generally use very different electrodes.
>
> Sure. But I'd imagine you still need to shave your head to get them
> anywhere near your scalp.

No. small electrodes fitted with conduction glue like material IIRC

> What gets me is the people who try to *sleep* wearing those things...

This is from the company that builds our amplifiers, they are also used
for sleep research so this could give you an idea:
http://www.biosemi.com/applications.htm

>>> And fortunately, no blood samples required! :-D (Why do they always
>>> have to take blood samples from the most tender parts of your
>>> anatomy? Why not your finger or something? I'm sure it's the same
>>> blood...)
>>>
>> 1) they do the finger for diabetes testing and also for testing at the
>> blood bank.
>> 2) In don't know where you think they take blood, and possibly don't
>> want to know. In my experience it is mostly from the arms.
>
> Yeah - the soft, tender part in your elbow. What, they couldn't find
> anywhere more painful? :-S

Ah, it seems we have found a biological abnormality here. FYI, in most
people the density of nerve endings in the elbow is much less tjan in
the fingertips.

Post a reply to this message

From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 5 Nov 2008 11:25:00
Message: <web.4911c89c7f0131ce85de7b680@news.povray.org>
> Still, it could have been worse - if I needed an EEG, I really would
> have to shave. O_O

I've never had to shave for an EEG, and my hair is pretty thick and
uncooperative.

Never had to shave for a sleep study either.

Ooops, TMI?

(POV community now wondering about Cousin Ricky's mental stability)

Post a reply to this message

From: andrel
Date: 5 Nov 2008 11:29:43
Message: <4911CA4C.2010201@hotmail.com>
On 05-Nov-08 17:23, Cousin Ricky wrote:
>> Still, it could have been worse - if I needed an EEG, I really would
>> have to shave. O_O
>
> I've never had to shave for an EEG, and my hair is pretty thick and
> uncooperative.
>
> Never had to shave for a sleep study either.
>
> Ooops, TMI?

This TMI one could be Too Much Information, correct?

> (POV community now wondering about Cousin Ricky's mental stability)

I assume you either have a sleep disorder or a suspicion of sleep apnoea.

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 5 Nov 2008 12:40:55
Message: <4911daa6@news.povray.org>
> And fortunately, no blood samples required! :-D (Why do they always have
> to take blood samples from the most tender parts of your anatomy? Why
> not your finger or something? I'm sure it's the same blood...)

  The fingertips are the most sensitive part of the human body. You *really*
want blood samples taken from your fingers?

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Doctor John
Date: 5 Nov 2008 13:23:26
Message: <4911e49e@news.povray.org>
andrel wrote:
>>> I have electrodes all around the upper body. I regularly shave the
>>> front and sometimes even the back of very hairy men.
>>
>> TMI?
> ?Can't find a relevant meaning for that acronym

Too much information :-)

John
--
"Eppur si muove" - Galileo Galilei

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 5 Nov 2008 13:40:00
Message: <web.4911e8457f0131ce6117f2130@news.povray.org>
> It means "electrocardiogram".
>
> I just had one.

http://www.fiftythree.org/etherkiller/

???

Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 5 Nov 2008 14:32:37
Message: <4911f4d5$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>> And fortunately, no blood samples required! :-D (Why do they always have
>> to take blood samples from the most tender parts of your anatomy? Why
>> not your finger or something? I'm sure it's the same blood...)
>
>   The fingertips are the most sensitive part of the human body. You *really*
> want blood samples taken from your fingers?

I believe the distinction of being *the* most sentivite part belongs
to... well no, let's not go there... but I believe your mouth rates
higher than your fingertips.

The important thing is that fingers get a lot of wear, so fingertips are
*touch*. Just the other day, I used mine to hang off a 10 m rock wall.
You wouldn't dare do that with your elbow! It'd hurt too much. (Fewer
nerves, but the skin is soft.)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/