POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Filtering - don't bank on it... Server Time
6 Sep 2024 23:23:51 EDT (-0400)
  Filtering - don't bank on it... (Message 15 to 24 of 24)
From: Warp
Subject: Re: Filtering - don't bank on it...
Date: 5 Nov 2008 12:23:53
Message: <4911d6a8@news.povray.org>
scott <sco### [at] scottcom> wrote:
> >  (Btw, did you know that even if a sound signal has only one single
> > frequency, a discrete fourier transform is usually completely unable
> > to find that single frequency, and instead will find a large (potentially
> > infinite) amount of frequencies around that real frequency?)

> It just depends how many samples you use for your fourier transform, the
> more samples you take, the more accurately you can divide up the frequency
> spectrum.  If you have a couple of seconds of normal audio recording (so
> like 100k samples), you should be able to find a single frequency pretty
> accurately, certainly to within 1 Hz.

  If the actual frequency falls in between two frequencies of the DFT,
there's no way for the DFT to produce just one or a few lines. Only if
the frequency happens to be exactly on one of the frequencies sampled
by the DFT, it will generate one single line.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

> More significantly, if the same frequency is present in more than one
> channel, phase will matter.

I think phase matters for mentally positioning the source of a sound,
too. I'm pretty sure that's one of the ways they make those "surround
sound headphones" and those "sounds like you're there" recordings.

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)

Post a reply to this message

>> More significantly, if the same frequency is present in more than one
>> channel, phase will matter.
>
> I think phase matters for mentally positioning the source of a sound,
> too. I'm pretty sure that's one of the ways they make those "surround
> sound headphones" and those "sounds like you're there" recordings.

Oh, sure. But if you want that level of sound clarity, you're using
lossy audio compression...why? ;-)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

> Oh, sure. But if you want that level of sound clarity, you're using
> lossy audio compression...why? ;-)

Just saying....