POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Filtering - don't bank on it... : Re: Filtering - don't bank on it... Server Time
7 Sep 2024 01:22:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Filtering - don't bank on it...
From: scott
Date: 6 Nov 2008 03:34:13
Message: <4912ac05@news.povray.org>
>  If the actual frequency falls in between two frequencies of the DFT,
> there's no way for the DFT to produce just one or a few lines.

Of course there is, try it.  If you create a frequency that is half-way
between two frequencies in the DFT, your DFT histogram will still look the
same shape, the peak will just be shared between the two frequencies.

And of course if you analyse the DFT properly (ie not just look at a picture
of the magnitude of each result) you will be able to determine the exact
frequency.  I mean in the worst case you can just do an inverse DFT to get
back the exact same signal!