POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The pulse Server Time
6 Sep 2024 17:18:40 EDT (-0400)
  The pulse (Message 1 to 10 of 43)
From: Invisible
Subject: The pulse
Date: 4 Nov 2008 04:49:05
Message: <49101a91$1@news.povray.org>
Carl Friedrich Gauss.

Damn. Apparently it's /ˈɡaʊs/. I always thought it was /ɡʊərs/.

Oh well - apparently I've been saying it wrong all these years...

Is there any specific reason why all great mathematicians were foreign?
(Not to mention great scientists. And come to think of it, why are all
the best programmers Finnish or German??)

Post a reply to this message

> Is there any specific reason why all great mathematicians were foreign?

Because 99% of the people in the world are foreign for you?

I can think of Newton, Babbage, Turing and Darwin off the top of my head as
very famous British scientists/mathematicians, I am sure there are many many
more.

Post a reply to this message

> Is there any specific reason why all great mathematicians were foreign?
> (Not to mention great scientists. And come to think of it, why are all the
> best programmers Finnish or German??)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:American_scientists

no reason

--