POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The pulse : Re: The pulse Server Time
6 Sep 2024 19:23:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The pulse
From: Invisible
Date: 4 Nov 2008 05:56:50
Message: <49102a72$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>> Heh. Imagine going to school and learning about "Dave's forces" or
>> "Bob's law". Wouldn't be quite the same as van der Waals forces and
>> Hooke's law, would it?
>
> Hooke was English.

...really?

Heh. You learn something every day.

Did you see the episode of Who Wants To Be A Millionaire? where 3% of
the audience thought that "Ludwig van Beethoven" was English? :-D (I
have no idea what his nationallity actually was, but I'm fairly sure
it's not a typical English name...)

>> At least at college we had somebody to tell us that "Euler" is
>> pronounced /ˈɔɪlɚ/. When you read a book and you come across something
>> like "Gödel", it's not trivial to figure out how the hell you actually
>> proncounce that...
>
> It is if you learnt German at school :-)  Knowing the basics of a few
> common languages is quite helpful in life...

...[insert COBOL joke here]...