POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Processor speed Server Time
6 Sep 2024 17:21:57 EDT (-0400)
  Processor speed (Message 1 to 10 of 23)
From: Invisible
Subject: Processor speed
Date: 28 Oct 2008 09:47:32
Message: <490717f4@news.povray.org>
Is integer addition faster or slower than floating-point addition? How
about multiplication? How do trigonometric functions compare? Is single
precision any faster than double precision? Are 8-bit integers faster
than 16-bit integers?

Does anybody know of a resource where I can get an idea of the relative
difference in speed between the various arithmetic operations on
different data types on "typical" current-generation CPUs?

Post a reply to this message

> Is integer addition faster or slower than floating-point addition? How
> about multiplication? How do trigonometric functions compare? Is single
> precision any faster than double precision? Are 8-bit integers faster
> than 16-bit integers?
>
> Does anybody know of a resource where I can get an idea of the relative
> difference in speed between the various arithmetic operations on
> different data types on "typical" current-generation CPUs?

Have a look here:
http://siyobik.info/index.php?module=x86

I suppose the latency times at the end of the page show how many instruction
cycles the CPU needs for the instruction

Post a reply to this message