POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Management stupidity Server Time
6 Sep 2024 19:23:37 EDT (-0400)
  Management stupidity (Message 1 to 10 of 17)
From: Invisible
Subject: Management stupidity
Date: 24 Oct 2008 06:26:49
Message: <4901a2e9$1@news.povray.org>
http://www.bash.org/?742408

Does this sound like YOUR boss?? Or is it just me?

The other day we all got an email from HQ saying that there's a global
shortage of Acetonitrile. (The most commonly used solvent in our lab.)
The email says that we need to carefully plan exactly how much we need
and order it well in advance.

On hearing this, the UK lab manager immediately ordered 16 L of
Acetonitrile.

To fully comprehend this, consider the following facts:

- The lab is currently extremely quiet. We have had virtually no work to
do for months, and there is no end in sight. (At this time of the year,
clients want to finish existing projects, and avoid starting new ones
until the next calendar year.)

- Even at peak capacity usage, 16 L would last us quite a long time.

- The UK chemicals supplier claims the problem is local to the USA and
they actually have plenty of stock available.

I bet this guy is also one of the people who immediately buys 8 weeks'
worth of petrol as soon as a tanker strike is announced too. :-P

Post a reply to this message

> The other day we all got an email from HQ saying that there's a global
> shortage of Acetonitrile. (The most commonly used solvent in our lab.)
> The email says that we need to carefully plan exactly how much we need
> and order it well in advance.
>
> On hearing this, the UK lab manager immediately ordered 16 L of
> Acetonitrile.

That's a perfectly rational and expected behaviour.

> I bet this guy is also one of the people who immediately buys 8 weeks'
> worth of petrol as soon as a tanker strike is announced too. :-P

It's called planning. If you have the means to carry it out (ie you have
storage and funds), it makes perfect sense. Everybody else will be doing
that, which will worsen the shortage, so one would be a fool not to
(somewhat related to prisoner's dilemma and related topics, which I suggest
you read).

Don't assume that anything the management does is stupid.

Post a reply to this message