POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A puzzle Server Time
6 Sep 2024 19:19:31 EDT (-0400)
  A puzzle (Message 1 to 9 of 9)
From: Invisible
Subject: A puzzle
Date: 23 Oct 2008 11:58:54
Message: <49009f3e@news.povray.org>
If something earns 10% compound interest in a year, how much interest
does it earn in half a year?

(Now if it were *simple interest*, it would be 5%. But I don't how what
it is for compound interest...)

Post a reply to this message

From: Mike Raiford
Subject: Re: A puzzle
Date: 23 Oct 2008 12:24:54
Message: <4900a556$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:

> If something earns 10% compound interest in a year, how much interest
> does it earn in half a year?
>
> (Now if it were *simple interest*, it would be 5%. But I don't how what
> it is for compound interest...)

GIYF or WIYF:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compound_interest

It depends on the frequency of the compounding.
--
~Mike

Post a reply to this message

> If something earns 10% compound interest in a year, how much interest
> does it earn in half a year?
>
> (Now if it were *simple interest*, it would be 5%. But I don't how what
> it is for compound interest...)

Isn't this why logarithms were invented?

Post a reply to this message

>> If something earns 10% compound interest in a year, how much interest
>> does it earn in half a year?
>>
>> (Now if it were *simple interest*, it would be 5%. But I don't how
>> what it is for compound interest...)
>
> Isn't this why logarithms were invented?

Probably. But I don't know how to correctly apply them in this case...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

GIYF. http://www.google.com/search?q=continuous+compound+interest

http://www.moneychimp.com/articles/finworks/continuous_compounding.htm