POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A puzzle : Re: A puzzle Server Time
6 Sep 2024 21:18:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A puzzle
From: andrel
Date: 23 Oct 2008 17:14:21
Message: <4900E97F.7080400@hotmail.com>
On 23-Oct-08 21:23, Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> andrel wrote:
>> On 23-Oct-08 17:58, Invisible wrote:
>>> If something earns 10% compound interest in a year, how much interest
>>> does it earn in half a year?
>>>
>>> (Now if it were *simple interest*, it would be 5%. But I don't how
>>> what it is for compound interest...)
>>
>> Isn't this why logarithms were invented?
>
> Probably. But I don't know how to correctly apply them in this case...

interest is an exponential function. Taking a logarithm makes it linear.
after one year you have 10% interest, so in total 1.1 times your
starting point. After a half year you will have

exp( (log(1.1)-log(1)) / 2) or 1.0488 times as much.

I admit that simply taking the square root of 1.1 would have been
simpler, but this formula also works for 4 months. (Ok, that is
effectively a cubic root. Let's say that it also works for 100 days ;) ).