POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Metric redux Server Time
7 Sep 2024 13:21:32 EDT (-0400)
  Metric redux (Message 71 to 80 of 120)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: Metric redux
Date: 15 Oct 2008 15:52:07
Message: <48f649e7@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 19:18:27 +0100, Stephen wrote:

>>Well, you know what I mean.  I was initially surprised by the mileage
>>the car we drove got until I realised why that was. ;-)
>>
> Well if you will insist on having 16 fluid ounces to a pint instead of
> 20 what can you expect? (BTW for the metric brigade there are 16 ounces
> in a pound (weight) and if you have 20 fluid oz in a pint, a pint of
> water weighs a pound) [You know it makes sense :)]

Well, hey, it's not my fault alcohol evaporates when transported
overseas. ;-)

>>> The young here are not much better. But then I was brought up before
>>> calculators were affordable. In fact they were not allowed in exams.
>>> Today's kids look aghast if you offer the correct money in a shop.
>>> Sad!
>>
>>I actually look for situations to exercise my mind in that way - doing
>>what should be simple math without starting bc or using a calculator.
>>
>>I wonder how many others do that?
>>

> Yeah! It keeps your mind muscle fit.

And that's a good thing to do.  The interesting thing is the tie between
physical fitness and mental agility - some interesting studies done about
that in alzheimers' patients (my dad was one, so I used to read a lot
about it - and apparently there is a genetic predisposition for it, so
I've tried to keep up with the research).

Jim

Post a reply to this message