POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Metric redux Server Time
7 Sep 2024 03:23:26 EDT (-0400)
  Metric redux (Message 21 to 30 of 120)
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: Metric redux
Date: 14 Oct 2008 13:55:35
Message: <48f4dd17$1@news.povray.org>
John VanSickle wrote:
> Darren New wrote:
>> I must say, having spent another couple weeks in Europe, metric
>> measurements for food and drink no longer seem awkward to me. :-)
>
> One week of physics class cured me of all distaste for the metric system.

I never disliked metric in the science classes. I actually have a better
feel for how much a kilogram weighs than a pounds, and a better feel for
centimeters than inches. (I even think of a "pound" as "somewhat less
than half a kilo", when I pick up a rock or something.)

It just seemed inconvenient for everyday things like food, where it's a
rough estimate rather than a precise measure. But that seems to have
been simply unfamiliarity.

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)

Post a reply to this message