POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Metric redux Server Time
7 Sep 2024 19:15:41 EDT (-0400)
  Metric redux (Message 101 to 110 of 120)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: Metric redux
Date: 16 Oct 2008 15:04:34
Message: <48f79042$1@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 21:49:32 +0100, Stephen wrote:

>>> I am contradicting you tonight :P.
>>
>>You are.  Stop it. ;-)
>>

> OK
> (If you stop being wrong :)

Deal.  ;-)

>>> On my car the kph is on the inside
>>> and it is in red so that it does not distract (I think) this was not
>>> helpful to me when I drove it for 9 months on the continent a few
>>> years ago and could not make out the speed at night.
>>
>>Ouch.
>>
> No worries my wife can tell the speed blindfolded (Only half joking)

LOL, I know what you mean...

>>> If only the exchange rate would stay the same at the end of a journey
>>> as it was at the beginning :)
>>
>>Well, yeah, that would be useful.  It was more stable when we were last
>>there.
>>
>>Still not favourable to us, though.
>>
> It works for us :)

Only if you come over here.  So, when are you? ;-)

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: scott
Date: 17 Oct 2008 02:42:17
Message: <48f833c9$1@news.povray.org>
> Yeah - the first couple times out I printed directions from
> maps.google.co.uk and got hopelessly lost.  I learned quickly that if I
> took those directions and just identified the next marker I needed to
> look for, it was a LOT easier to get around.
>
> It is fairly counterintuitive to me that a map is a hinderance, but I
> can't argue with the results. ;-)

Yup, most of the time for longish journeys on unfamiliar routes (before I
got GPS) I would just write a list of 5-10 towns/cities that I needed to
pass through.  If you get lost, you can just drive towards the centre of the
town/city and you'll be sure there is a sign somewhere with one of the items
on your list.  I found maps only helpful for the last few miles, where you
were possibly driving through resedential areas or unsigned minor routes.
Typically I would just print out a zoomed in version around a few miles of
my destination.

Post a reply to this message