POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Metric redux : Re: Metric redux Server Time
7 Sep 2024 21:12:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Metric redux
From: scott
Date: 17 Oct 2008 02:42:17
Message: <48f833c9$1@news.povray.org>
> Yeah - the first couple times out I printed directions from
> maps.google.co.uk and got hopelessly lost.  I learned quickly that if I
> took those directions and just identified the next marker I needed to
> look for, it was a LOT easier to get around.
>
> It is fairly counterintuitive to me that a map is a hinderance, but I
> can't argue with the results. ;-)

Yup, most of the time for longish journeys on unfamiliar routes (before I
got GPS) I would just write a list of 5-10 towns/cities that I needed to
pass through.  If you get lost, you can just drive towards the centre of the
town/city and you'll be sure there is a sign somewhere with one of the items
on your list.  I found maps only helpful for the last few miles, where you
were possibly driving through resedential areas or unsigned minor routes.
Typically I would just print out a zoomed in version around a few miles of
my destination.