POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Have I missed something? Server Time
7 Sep 2024 01:21:02 EDT (-0400)
  Have I missed something? (Message 30 to 39 of 39)
From: Gail
Subject: Re: Have I missed something?
Date: 11 Oct 2008 15:35:01
Message: <48f0ffe5@news.povray.org>
news:48f0f92f@news.povray.org...

> Most of the jobs I've seen can be roughly classified thus:
>
> - We program toasters (so we want C).
> - We write "serious" applications (so we want C or maybe C++).
> - We write "custom business applications" (so we want VB / VBA or maybe
> Java).

Most of that that I see is C#/VB.Net/Java

> - We write web applications, so we want JavaScript / Perl / PHP.

Or ASP.Net

>> Thing with .net is that if you're working on a machines that has the .net
>> framework installed (and I believe everything past XP does by default),
>> you won't know that you're running a .net app. It's not like Java where
>> you can see the VM running in task manager (or sometimes have a popup in
>> the task bar). That's how it's supposed to be. It's supposed to be
>> seamless and to not bother the end user with anything they don't need to
>> know.
>
> "Everything past XP" meaning "only the latest bleeding edge OS that nobody
> is using yet"?

I think it was included in one of the XP service packs. XP RTM didn't, but
I'm sure SP1 or SP2 included .net framework

Oh, and from your second statement, I didn't realise my name had been
changed. Hi, I'm nobody.

> Anyway, I know that the .NET framework is an absolutely *huge* download
> and it takes hours to install. I know this because we have _one_ obscure
> application at work which demands .NET 1.1 be installed. This takes many
> times longer than installing the application itself. (Roughly 45 minutes
> or so of HD thrashing.)

It's not as huge as people often make it out to be.
see http://smallestdotnet.com
You'll have to use IE for that site, as firefox doesn't expose the .net
framework version. Dunno about other chrome, safari, opera and others

> I don't recall that conversation, but anyway... my PC has never had it
> until now. (It has it *now* because I just installed MS Visual Studio, and
> the first thing it does is install this unwanted component.)

I'm pretty sure it did. VS has to install the sdk, but I'm willing to bet
you had the runtime long before that.

>> It's a server-side dynamic page setup like php. It uses the .net
>> framework on the server. .aspx pages are asp.net, pages with just the
>> .asp extension are the older-style asp (active server pages)
>> ASP.NET pages are written in one of the .net languages, most commonly C#
>> or VB)
>
> Well aren't you a mine of information? :-D

I used to be a web developer.

> Isn't Delphi also long since dead? I haven't even heard its name mentioned
> in years...

One of my best friends has a job coding in it, so no. It's not as popular as
it used to be though.

Post a reply to this message