POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : End of the world delayed until spring Server Time
7 Sep 2024 15:27:17 EDT (-0400)
  End of the world delayed until spring (Message 71 to 80 of 148)
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: End of the world delayed until spring
Date: 25 Sep 2008 17:39:13
Message: <48dc0501@news.povray.org>
somebody wrote:
>> Only after the fundamental work has been done by scientists.
>
> I don't know what that means.

I mean that (for example) research on genetic causes/cures for cancer
wouldn't have been possible at all without high-energy physics research.

(Figure out how the structure of DNA was determined, for example.)

>> And you don't think there's any existing problem in fundamental physics
>> the LHC is trying to gather evidence to solve? Like, where does mass
>> come from? Why does inertia match gravity?
>
> If it comes from Higgs, we won't be in better shape than we are now. We
> already assume that.

But we don't know the details.

> If it doesn't, we will be in worse shape.

But we'll have evidence saying where to look.

> In any case,
> beyond the discovery of Higgs, there's very little that LHC can give us that
> Fermilab did not.

You keep making these claims with no evidence to support your position.

> But besides that, the real issue is, it's all academic. No
> application, no benefit.

You keep making these claims with no evidence to support your position.

>> Because, you know, all those nuclear energy plants that France is
>> building aren't at all useful.
>
> HEP at TeV scales has *nothing* to do with nuclear fission (nor fusion).

So you're saying the high energy physics they did 50 years ago had
obvious applications at the time?  Have you any evidence for that?

>>  > In fact, it has zero application, past, present or foreseeble future.
>
>> Do you have a citation for this? Or is this argument from ignorance?
>> Because, like, you keep saying this, and it seems to be the center of
>> your argument, but I've seen nothing except your statements that the
>> research is and must be useless.
>
> Please provide an application, if you can. I cannot cite for something that
> doesn't exist.

You can cite "respectable scientists" saying there's no practical
application for it. You're not saying "I don't know any application."
You're saying "everyone involved agrees there's no application."

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)

Post a reply to this message