POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : End of the world delayed until spring Server Time
7 Sep 2024 07:22:20 EDT (-0400)
  End of the world delayed until spring (Message 31 to 40 of 148)
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: End of the world delayed until spring
Date: 24 Sep 2008 14:57:10
Message: <48da8d86$1@news.povray.org>
somebody wrote:
> "Darren New" <dne### [at] sanrrcom> wrote in message
>> somebody wrote:
>
>>> * Moon program (or in general, manned space exploration programs)
> are/were
>>> huge wastes of funds as well. If there were any merits to it, we would
> have
>>> visited the moon in the last 40 years.
>
>> We came, we saw, we conquered. Why go back?
>
> Exactly. It wasn't science, it was show.

Well, no. We learned what we needed to learn. We're not doing
Michelson-Morley experiments any more either, except in high school.

Once you have 600 pounds of lunar soil, how much more do you need to
analyze?

>> The Higgs boson is what gives matter mass. A good understanding of that
>> may settle research into a number of questions that have practical
>> applications for things like faster-than-light travel, reduction of
>> inertia, and so on, I'd expect.
>
> You really do? Please do explain.

Given that previous investigations of things like "the position of
electrons within the atom" lead to things like Bose condensates and
tunnel diodes, what makes you sure that investigations into particles
that are supposed to be responsible for mass and inertia might not have
results concerning technology to manipulate mass and inertia?

Note the word "may" there. I *expect* they *may*. Not "I expect they
will". Not "they may". Understand the differences there.

> Extraordinary claims such as FTL require extraordinary evidence.

And you are in favor of preventing such evidence from being collected. I
see what you did there.

> I'm afraid, however, fantasy is not enough of a justification in this matter.

Then explain why we're spending 10 billion dollars on it. I'm afraid
fantasy certainly seems to be enough of a justification, yes?

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)

Post a reply to this message