POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Doomed? Server Time
7 Sep 2024 09:25:43 EDT (-0400)
  Doomed? (Message 1 to 10 of 57)
From: Orchid XP v8
Subject: Doomed?
Date: 21 Sep 2008 05:33:41
Message: <48d614f5$1@news.povray.org>
I just installed Micro$oft Visual C++ 2008 Experss Edition.

My God... what have I done?? O_O

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Saul Luizaga
Subject: Re: Doomed?
Date: 21 Sep 2008 05:36:20
Message: <48d61594@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> I just installed Micro$oft Visual C++ 2008 Experss Edition.
>
> My God... what have I done?? O_O

If you feel like Dr. Frankenstein you should scream: "It's Alive!" :D

Post a reply to this message

From: Doctor John
Date: 21 Sep 2008 05:55:12
Message: <48d61a00$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> I just installed Micro$oft Visual C++ 2008 Experss Edition.
>
> My God... what have I done?? O_O

Definitely no worse than me. I installed XP on a spare box yesterday
just to play Spore.
<wanders off, gibbering and drooling>

John

--
"Eppur si muove" - Galileo Galilei

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 21 Sep 2008 06:05:34
Message: <48d61c6e$1@news.povray.org>
Doctor John wrote:

> Definitely no worse than me. I installed XP on a spare box yesterday
> just to play Spore.
> <wanders off, gibbering and drooling>

Pffhhaaahahahahhahahaha! PWN3D!!

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Warp
Date: 21 Sep 2008 06:57:12
Message: <48d62886@news.povray.org>
> I just installed Micro$oft Visual C++ 2008 Experss Edition.

  Even though I use Visual C++ for my payjob, I have never actually
made even a single CLI program with it. Let us know your experiences
in doing that.

  Visual C++ might look cool and fancy, with all of its graphical user
interfaces, configuration dialogs, source file editor, context help and
whatnot, but I bet it will feel very daunting at first. There are so
many options and buttons that you might feel a bit lost. You might even
start missing the simple "g++ program.cc" way of compiling a program. ;)

  Oh, and that just for creating CLI programs. You can probably forget
about creating win32 programs. The learning curve is steep. No, it's not
steep. It's a vertical wall.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: andrel
Date: 21 Sep 2008 06:58:41
Message: <48D6292A.4090805@hotmail.com>
On 21-Sep-08 11:33, Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> I just installed Micro$oft Visual C++ 2008 Experss Edition.
>
> My God... what have I done?? O_O

At first glance, I would say: a spelling mistake.

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 21 Sep 2008 07:16:20
Message: <48d62d04$1@news.povray.org>
>> My God... what have I done?? O_O
>>
> At first glance, I would say: a spelling mistake.

NAAAAAAARGH!!! >_<

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 21 Sep 2008 07:19:31
Message: <48d62dc3$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:

>   Even though I use Visual C++ for my payjob, I have never actually
> made even a single CLI program with it. Let us know your experiences
> in doing that.
>
>   Visual C++ might look cool and fancy, with all of its graphical user
> interfaces, configuration dialogs, source file editor, context help and
> whatnot, but I bet it will feel very daunting at first. There are so
> many options and buttons that you might feel a bit lost. You might even
> start missing the simple "g++ program.cc" way of compiling a program. ;)

I'm not saying it's bloated, but... EVEN THE *NAME* IS 45 CHARACTERS LONG!

Heh. Seriously. It was a 100 MB download, it took about 25 minutes to
install (most of that was just the .NET runtime...), and I now have
something open on my screen that looks very slick and... I... just want
to compile some code? o_O

>   Oh, and that just for creating CLI programs. You can probably forget
> about creating win32 programs. The learning curve is steep. No, it's not
> steep. It's a vertical wall.

Warp, that's probably the most amusing thing I've ever heard you say. I
am actually laughout out loud now! :-D

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 21 Sep 2008 10:03:25
Message: <48d6542d$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:

>   Visual C++ might look cool and fancy, with all of its graphical user
> interfaces, configuration dialogs, source file editor, context help and
> whatnot, but I bet it will feel very daunting at first. There are so
> many options and buttons that you might feel a bit lost. You might even
> start missing the simple "g++ program.cc" way of compiling a program. ;)

...still not found a way to compile things yet...

At this rate, I'm going to have to look in the help file. (!!) o_O

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 21 Sep 2008 10:21:54
Message: <48d65882$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:

> ...still not found a way to compile things yet...
>
> At this rate, I'm going to have to look in the help file. (!!) o_O

Ha. Haha. Ahahaha!

Of course, a mere "help file" would be far too easy. No, we must have an
interactive tutorial... *sigh*

(I was afraid of this!)

Ohhhohhhh... so *that's* how you make it compile?

Hmm, you really have to do stuff in *exactly* the order it wants, don't
you? Man this thing's inflexible! Oh well, at least I figured out how to
work it. Heh. Even if it *is* about as intuitive as... something... not
very intuitive... (First person to say "Haskell" gets a slap!)

Clearly this thing is designed for programs *way* bigger than "Hello
World". I can't help thinking that if Hello World is all you're trying
to write, this is massive overkill. Oh well, it's faster than running
GCC on a virtual machine! (And it has a real editor, not Nano. And I
even found out how to make it stop ****ing with my text layout!)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/