POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Can't screen-grab my own MPEG-I. Is this DRM? Server Time
7 Sep 2024 03:23:15 EDT (-0400)
  Can't screen-grab my own MPEG-I. Is this DRM? (Message 1 to 10 of 10)
From: gregjohn
Subject: Can't screen-grab my own MPEG-I. Is this DRM?
Date: 17 Sep 2008 21:35:00
Message: <web.48d1af5b4e31f5f434d207310@news.povray.org>
I have an MPEG-I that I made myself.  I wanted to screen grab a frame from it to
share with someone in a letter.  I was unable.

With several viewing applications, when I screen-grabbed the playing animation,
I ended up with a blank screen in that part of the window that was showing the
animation.

Q: Is this DRM, in the sense that someone made them set up movie players that
way, or is it an inevitable and unintended function of the way computers handle
moving vs. still images?

I had always assumed it was DRM when I couldn't screen grab a frame from a
store-bought DVD played on Windows XP; but I see it so often on all my linux
apps that I'm guessing it's just the technology.

Post a reply to this message