POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Games programmers Server Time
7 Sep 2024 09:25:04 EDT (-0400)
  Games programmers (Message 150 to 159 of 179)
From: Gail
Subject: Re: Games programmers
Date: 13 Sep 2008 05:48:06
Message: <48cb8c56@news.povray.org>
news:48cb8745$1@news.povray.org...

> However, people quite often do think in set-based terms. Most people don't
> have too much of a problem learning SQL, for example.

I beg to differ.

> (Although having said that, some people insist on processing tasks row by
> row rather than using a set-based solution...)

Because they don't understand the set-based way of thinking

Post a reply to this message

From: andrel
Date: 13 Sep 2008 06:25:52
Message: <48CB9577.1030805@hotmail.com>
On 13-Sep-08 11:47, Gail wrote:

> "Orchid XP v8" <voi### [at] devnull> wrote in message
>>
>> Maybe that's part of the problem - I don't have any C programming
>> resources where I can actually look things up. So if something doesn't
>> work, there's the Borland C++ help file, or there's experimentation.
>> Neither of these things help terribly much.
>>

> Such a pity that no free C/C++ language guide exists...
>
> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=C+language+guide
> http://www.google.com/search?q=C%2B%2B+language+guide
 >
 > Please note the deliberate sarcasm in the above statement.

<slighly worried>
That's the second day in a row. I hope all goes well with you and your
new job.
</slighly worried>

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 13 Sep 2008 07:43:43
Message: <48cba76f@news.povray.org>
> Warp wrote:

> >   So let me get this straight: You are comparing C in a 10+ years old MS-DOS
> > system to higher-level programming languages (such as Java and Haskell) in
> > modern systems with modern OSes and modern compilers, and based on this you
> > have decided that C sucks?

> As far as I'm aware, C hasn't changed in 20 years, never mind 10.

  Compilers, tools and operating systems have. Besides, C itself has changed
as well (the latest standard is from 1999).

  Or are you telling me this isn't happening with haskell either? If I'm
not mistaken, haskell didn't even have a debugger until recently.

> Really? I had assumed that after you read past the end of the file, it's
> behaviour is simply undefined. I wasn't expecting the C standard to
> actually bother to define the result of an operation you're not supposed
> to perform.

  How are you supposed to detect the end of file if you are not supposed
to ever reach the end of the file? That's kind of contradictory.

> >   Besides, reaching the end of file (and getting that -1) is *not* an error.

> No, reaching EOF is not an error - failing to check for EOF is an error.

  Since reaching EOF is completely valid, how is the compiler supposed to
make sure that you write a conditional which takes it into account? It can't
do this at runtime because returning EOF is completely valid and not an
error, and thus it cannot raise any exceptions at runtime because EOF was
returned. In fact, returning EOF multiple times is not an error either
(it can be perfectly possible for different parts of the program to read
the same file, and all of them get an EOF when there's nothing more to
read, and all of them still work properly).

  So how is the compiler supposed to make sure that you do the "correct"
thing when EOF is returned? What *is* the "correct" thing to do?

> >> I've never seen a C debugger.
> >
> >   Thus you base all your prejudices on non-knowledge.

> Yes - because having a debugger would make function names easier to
> remember and pointer syntax less baffling and printf() would work
> right... oh, wait...

  Now you are twisting the argument, and arguing for the sake of arguing.
The above context had nothing to do with printf or function names.

> >   Luckily haskell doesn't have any arbitrarily selected features in it
> > which you need to memorize (such as for example some function names).

> Well at least you can easily look up Haskell function names.

  Yes, that's something not possible with C.

> Maybe that's part of the problem - I don't have any C programming
> resources where I can actually look things up.

  Well, I don't have any haskell programming resources where I can
look things up.

  (Before you write an answer to that, think about it for a second.)

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

>> As far as I'm aware, C hasn't changed in 20 years, never mind 10.
>
>   Compilers, tools and operating systems have. Besides, C itself has changed
> as well (the latest standard is from 1999).

My main problem with C is it's design. It isn't *designed* to be "safe"
or "easy", it's designed to be efficient. The result is a language which
offers really minimal assistance to programmers. Crawling through a
program with a debugger hardly compares to having a problem detected at
compile-time before the program even runs.

I'm sure compilers and debuggers have got better over time. But that
doesn't change the fundamental design of the language. It's unsafe by
design, and that causes me endless difficulties.

>   Or are you telling me this isn't happening with haskell either? If I'm
> not mistaken, haskell didn't even have a debugger until recently.

(And FWIW, the debugger really isn't that good.)

>> Really? I had assumed that after you read past the end of the file, it's
>> behaviour is simply undefined. I wasn't expecting the C standard to
>> actually bother to define the result of an operation you're not supposed
>> to perform.
>
>   How are you supposed to detect the end of file if you are not supposed
> to ever reach the end of the file? That's kind of contradictory.

It's different in every language of course, but what typically happens
is that you have a function that says "is this EOF yet?", and if it is,
you stop reading. And if you don't stop, that's a program bug, and
should be signalled as one.

Apparently in C it's arranged differently.

>>>   Thus you base all your prejudices on non-knowledge.
>
>> Yes - because having a debugger would make function names easier to
>> remember and pointer syntax less baffling and printf() would work
>> right... oh, wait...
>
>   Now you are twisting the argument, and arguing for the sake of arguing.
> The above context had nothing to do with printf or function names.

My point is that having a debugger doesn't magically solve all the problems.

>>>   Luckily haskell doesn't have any arbitrarily selected features in it
>>> which you need to memorize (such as for example some function names).
>
>> Well at least you can easily look up Haskell function names.
>
>   Yes, that's something not possible with C.

It wasn't when I was trying to learn it, no. Today, we have the Internet.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

> >   How are you supposed to detect the end of file if you are not supposed
> > to ever reach the end of the file? That's kind of contradictory.

> It's different in every language of course, but what typically happens
> is that you have a function that says "is this EOF yet?", and if it is,
> you stop reading. And if you don't stop, that's a program bug, and
> should be signalled as one.

  I fail to see how that's different from how C does it. You read a value
and check if it was EOF. What's the fundamental difference?

> >   Now you are twisting the argument, and arguing for the sake of arguing.
> > The above context had nothing to do with printf or function names.

> My point is that having a debugger doesn't magically solve all the problems.

  But it solves many of the problems you are complaining about.

> >> Well at least you can easily look up Haskell function names.
> >
> >   Yes, that's something not possible with C.

> It wasn't when I was trying to learn it, no. Today, we have the Internet.

  Exactly how is that different from haskell?

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message