POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Computer users Server Time
7 Sep 2024 09:24:08 EDT (-0400)
  Computer users (Message 1 to 10 of 13)
From: Darren New
Subject: Computer users
Date: 1 Sep 2008 22:33:56
Message: <48bca614$1@news.povray.org>
Mass-market computer software has to be able to target the type of user
that asks if it's OK to take the chip out of the digital camera and then
put it back in again, or whether that'll cause double-exposures. What is
obvious to you isn't at all obvious to the people who don't know what's
in the box.

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)

Post a reply to this message

> Mass-market computer software has to be able to target the type of user
> that asks if it's OK to take the chip out of the digital camera and then
> put it back in again, or whether that'll cause double-exposures. What is
> obvious to you isn't at all obvious to the people who don't know what's in
> the box.

Or those who ask if it is more expensive to send email abroad (said person
was paying a flat-rate DSL internet fee per month).

Post a reply to this message

On Mon, 01 Sep 2008 19:33:56 -0700, Darren New wrote:

> Mass-market computer software has to be able to target the type of user
> that asks if it's OK to take the chip out of the digital camera and then
> put it back in again, or whether that'll cause double-exposures. What is
> obvious to you isn't at all obvious to the people who don't know what's
> in the box.

There is no such thing as an item that is "foolproof" because engineers
fail to take into account the ingenuity of complete fools. :-)

Jim

Post a reply to this message

> There is no such thing as an item that is "foolproof" because engineers
> fail to take into account the ingenuity of complete fools. :-)
>
> Jim
Which is another way of saying "It may be foolproof, but is it PhD proof?"

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 3 Sep 2008 17:00:33
Message: <48befaf1$1@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 03 Sep 2008 11:42:51 -0400, JimT wrote:

>> There is no such thing as an item that is "foolproof" because engineers
>> fail to take into account the ingenuity of complete fools. :-)
>>
>> Jim
> Which is another way of saying "It may be foolproof, but is it PhD
> proof?"

LOL, can you get a PhD in "foolery"? ;-)

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: andrel
Date: 4 Sep 2008 18:08:51
Message: <48C05CB8.1030508@hotmail.com>
On 03-Sep-08 17:42, JimT wrote:
>> There is no such thing as an item that is "foolproof" because engineers
>> fail to take into account the ingenuity of complete fools. :-)
>>
>> Jim
> Which is another way of saying "It may be foolproof, but is it PhD proof?"

PhD's are relatively OK. The real challenge are in my experience MD's

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 4 Sep 2008 18:41:43
Message: <48c06427$1@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 05 Sep 2008 00:10:00 +0200, andrel wrote:

> On 03-Sep-08 17:42, JimT wrote:
>> Jim Henderson <nos### [at] nospamcom> wrote:
>>> There is no such thing as an item that is "foolproof" because
>>> engineers fail to take into account the ingenuity of complete fools.
>>> :-)
>>>
>>> Jim
>> Which is another way of saying "It may be foolproof, but is it PhD
>> proof?"
>>
> PhD's are relatively OK. The real challenge are in my experience MD's

LOL, ain't that the truth....

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 5 Sep 2008 04:04:38
Message: <48c0e816$1@news.povray.org>
>> PhD's are relatively OK. The real challenge are in my experience MD's
>
> LOL, ain't that the truth....

I can see that being true. (Although I've never actually met a PhD.
AFAIK, they're quite rare.)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 5 Sep 2008 12:59:55
Message: <48c1658b$1@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 05 Sep 2008 09:04:37 +0100, Invisible wrote:

> I can see that being true. (Although I've never actually met a PhD.
> AFAIK, they're quite rare.)

Not terribly rare, but I've got a few friends who are...

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Doctor John
Date: 5 Sep 2008 13:45:07
Message: <48c17023$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
>>> PhD's are relatively OK. The real challenge are in my experience MD's
>>
>> LOL, ain't that the truth....
>
> I can see that being true. (Although I've never actually met a PhD.
> AFAIK, they're quite rare.)

You've met me. Though to be quite precise I'm D.Phil

John

--
"Eppur si muove" - Galileo Galilei