POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Linux & drivers Server Time
7 Sep 2024 07:24:53 EDT (-0400)
  Linux & drivers (Message 21 to 30 of 43)
From: Tom Austin
Subject: Re: Linux & drivers
Date: 5 Sep 2008 08:51:40
Message: <48c12b5c$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Tom Austin wrote:
>> I know how to use it and get to it easier than thru the XP recovery
>> console.
>
> Diskpart runs for me from the XP command line. Oh, I see what you mean.
> You had nothing at all on the machine. OK.

yep - blank slate - was kinda nice.

>> I actually tried to get to it, but was prompted for an XP installation
>> to recover before I got to a prompt that I could use.
>
> Yeah, I can see where that would slow you down. :-) BartPE is a good
> cure if you do that sort of thing regularly.

I think I remember running across that a couple of years ago - Live
Windows, but for some reason never pursued it.

>> I figured that at that point I would rather learn how to get Linux
>> running on my machine because I plan on messing around with it later.
>
> Yeah. And live CDs are certainly easier to find for Linux than Windows.

but finding one that would boot on my machine.....

pendrivelinux is a pretty nifty site.

It's amazing what people are doing.
I wish I had that kind of time.....

> I just thought there might have been functionality missing or something
> that I didn't know about in fdisk.

probably not
DiskPart is a pretty powerful program.

I had to use it to set up hot-swap IDE on a Windows Server - along with
a lot of other things.

Later... Tom

Post a reply to this message