POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Linux & drivers Server Time
7 Sep 2024 09:24:14 EDT (-0400)
  Linux & drivers (Message 14 to 23 of 43)
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: Linux & drivers
Date: 4 Sep 2008 21:56:24
Message: <48c091c8$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>> Yeah. And live CDs are certainly easier to find for Linux than Windows.
>
>   Does Windows support creating so-called live CDs at all (maybe through
> extensive hacking)?

Yes. It's not extensive hacking. It's a normal supported thing. They
call it "Preinstall Environment."  You can buy it from Microsoft, or you
can google for BartPE, which provides a free program that takes the
files from the XP install disk and makes them bootable.

> You *could* call that a "live CD", but not really, IMO.

Nope. This is a full graphical environment and everything. Not the same
as a Linux live-cd, as (for example) most services aren't running. But
it's good enough for what I want to do, which is (for example) resize
the system partition, or back up *everything* including the registry, etc.

>   Of course even if Windows had full support, there's always the pesky
> limiation that it's commercial software which is illegal to distribute
> without permission. There really are certain situations where free
> software does have its advantages.

This is true. But the program that takes your legal Windows CD and turns
it into a live CD is free.

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)

Post a reply to this message