POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Linux & drivers : Re: Linux & drivers Server Time
7 Sep 2024 07:20:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Linux & drivers
From: Tom Austin
Date: 5 Sep 2008 08:43:54
Message: <48c1298a$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> Tom Austin wrote:
>
>> I usually do a Linux From Scratch for most things.
>>
>> While I do the automated build, it at least keeps me in touch with the
>> roots of what is going on.
>
> People say that about Gentoo too, but... watching pages of gibberish
> scroll past keeps you "in touch with the roots of it"? Hmm. Not so much...

It isn't watching pages of gibberish - it's the few steps that aren't
done automatically that does it for me.  And that's not selecting "go"
either.

For me a typical LFS build consists of
fdisk
run LFS automated
setup grub
select kernel options & compile
setup boot scripts
pick which actual applications I want & manually install them

I agree that this isn't for everyone.
I have more interest in the guts than most people.
What I think I enjoy the most is learning how each application really
works as I install it.  That way I know what my options are - instead of
'just use this'.

Tom