POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Lightning in movies Server Time
7 Sep 2024 05:09:31 EDT (-0400)
  Lightning in movies (Message 31 to 40 of 40)
From: Warp
Subject: Re: Lightning in movies
Date: 7 Sep 2008 14:03:35
Message: <48c41777@news.povray.org>
Gilles Tran <gil### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> There's no waiting time for lightning because lightning, to be understood
> (and impressive) as lightning, is supposed to go "Flash!!! Crack!!!"

  That's the problem: Says who?

  The only one who says that are the movies themselves. It's not anybody's
personal experience of lightning. It's a convention invented purely by
movies (and before that probably by theatre), not by reality.

  If movies always had had a realistic lightning, nodoby would complain
about it or feel it's odd, but just a normal convention of depicting
something in movies realistically. It's a convention which people accept
not because of any real necessity, but simply because movies artificially
have created the convention, and people have got accustomed to it because
of seeing so many movies.

  There are many other unrealistic conventions in movies, but most of them
are dictated by practicality. For example the soundtrack of a scene of
two people talking is usually as if the microphone was about between the
two people, and not where the camera is currently. This is a purely
practical thing, as it would probably be difficult to hear what they
are saying otherwise. This is also an artificial convention created by
movies, but it's caused by necessity, and it works.

  I don't see any necessity in unrealistic depictions of lightning.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message