POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Lightning in movies : Re: Lightning in movies Server Time
7 Sep 2024 07:23:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Lightning in movies
From: St
Date: 7 Sep 2008 18:49:36
Message: <48c45a80@news.povray.org>
"Gilles Tran" <gil### [at] gmailcom> wrote in message

>>    Yes, why do Americans never say "goodbye" to the other person on the
>> 'phone?? They just put the thing down... (in films I've seen anyway), but
>> is this typical in real life?
>
> Movie characters (American or not) are typically rude to each other.

    Yes, sure, I didn't mean just Americans in films, it's just that those
films are the only one's where I've seen it happen many times and they stand
out. And it's not just films either, it's popular shows too. No-one says
"Goodbye, thanks for calling, speak to you later". Well, not that I've seen
anyway.

Even in
> non-violent movies people do and say things to each other that should land
> them in anger management therapy, if not in court or jail, but other
> characters don't seem to bother that much (unless it's part of the plot of
> the plot). It's an entire autistic world where regular ethics and personal
> feelings do not exist and don't matter. An egregious example (among
> thousands) is Julia Robert's character in "My best friend's wedding", who
> does lots of wrong things (including trying to get her best friend sacked
> by sending bogus emails from his boss' account, and later stealing a truck
> and starting a car chase) and five minutes later everything's forgiven and
> everybody's happy and friends again. Suspension of disbelief is your
> friend, fortunately.

   Trying to wrack my brain if I've seen that one. I think I have but don't
remember it.

> IIRC "True lies" made fun of this convention during the horse chase, with
> Schwarzenegger saying "sorry" and "excuse me" to everyone who got in his
> way, and this was played for comical purpose.

    Haha! Yes, he did. It's funny that you mention that because when I first
watched it, I thought that it was weird having him say those things.

    Actually, thinking about it now, the whole film is a parody.

        ~Steve~