POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Lightning in movies Server Time
7 Sep 2024 05:11:41 EDT (-0400)
  Lightning in movies (Message 11 to 20 of 40)
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: Lightning in movies
Date: 2 Sep 2008 19:58:26
Message: <48bdd322$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> That sounds like the review that encouraged me to watch it.

And, if you haven't seen "eXistenZ", that's a great movie too. Very
cool, worth watching twice.

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)

Post a reply to this message

From: Kevin Wampler
Date: 2 Sep 2008 20:09:55
Message: <48bdd5d3$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Darren New wrote:
>> That sounds like the review that encouraged me to watch it.
>
> And, if you haven't seen "eXistenZ", that's a great movie too. Very
> cool, worth watching twice.

I haven't, but it is on my queue.  I'll bump it up a bit higher on your
recommendation.

Post a reply to this message

From: scott
Date: 3 Sep 2008 02:52:29
Message: <48be342d@news.povray.org>
>  So why are movie makers so afraid of putting a realistic pause between
> the lightning and the thunder?

Maybe because then the viewer might not realise it's lightning?  Sometimes
IRL I can't tell whether it's thunder or someone wheeling out their bin :-)
so on TV I guess there's even more scope for confusion.  Better to make
things overly obvious I guess.

Post a reply to this message

> >  So why are movie makers so afraid of putting a realistic pause between
> > the lightning and the thunder?

> Maybe because then the viewer might not realise it's lightning?  Sometimes
> IRL I can't tell whether it's thunder or someone wheeling out their bin :-)
> so on TV I guess there's even more scope for confusion.  Better to make
> things overly obvious I guess.

  I suppose that could be one possible rationale. It just seems very common.
I wonder if movie makers have some kind of instruction book on how to do
these things "correctly".

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message