POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Coolest thing EVER! Server Time
7 Sep 2024 09:22:49 EDT (-0400)
  Coolest thing EVER! (Message 83 to 92 of 112)
From: Invisible
Subject: Re: Coolest thing EVER!
Date: 2 Sep 2008 07:40:50
Message: <48bd2642$1@news.povray.org>
>>> So when you say "works on any reasonably modern PC", what you
>>> *actually* mean is "works on any brand new bleeding-edge PC"?
>>
>> No. I believe it was the 386 that added the capability.
>>
>> You know, two generations back before the Pentium came out?
>>
>> Added primarily to emulate multiple "DOS boxes" under Windows.
>
> The 386 or so added "virtual mode" (or whatever the exact term is) that
> makes the CPU act as if it's in real mode, but it's really in protected
> mode, and the OS can control the page mappings and so forth.

"Virtual real mode".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_8086_mode

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: scott
Date: 2 Sep 2008 09:04:18
Message: <48bd39d2@news.povray.org>
> Nope, I was wrong. Apparently it uses a 4 MHz customised Z80 with an
> on-die ROM for bootstrap and a customised instruction set somewhat similar
> to the Intel 8080... Oh well!

Oh and Wikipedia tells me the TI-86 has a 6 MHz Z80, so I guess not straight
copy of game-boy apps, some hacks probably needed for timing etc.  Or maybe
the games just ran a bit 50% faster, I can't remember.

Post a reply to this message