POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Coolest thing EVER! : Re: Hardware Server Time
7 Sep 2024 11:23:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Hardware
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 2 Sep 2008 13:24:51
Message: <48bd76e3$1@news.povray.org>
Gail wrote:

> Quote, from the wiki page you linked
>
> "VMware and similar virtualization software for the x86 must employ
> binary translation techniques to trap and virtualize the execution of
> certain instructions. These techniques incur some performance overhead
> as compared to a VM running on a natively virtualizable architecture"

Right. So it only emulates some instructions, instead of all of them?

> The hardware extensions is what makes the hypervisor type products (that
> run 'beneath' the OS possible). You'll need that for things like Server
> 2008's hyper-V, VMWare's ESX server (which can make do without), Xen and
> others.
>
> Things like VMWare workstation can use it but don't need it. MS's
> Virtual PC can't use the hardware emulation at all, though Virtual
> Server can

I've spent some time looking at all the various products out there. It
seems that QEMU is the only one that can be run without "installing"
anything. Some install special kernel-mode drivers, others run on the
bare metal beneigh the first "privilaged" OS, but I'm not seeing
anything else that you can throw on a USB stick and use anywhere. (I
also note that several of these things appear to be "based on" QEMU...)

Still, if I was trying to offer hosting of virtual servers, this would
be a non-issue.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/